33. Once Upon A Night

Chapter 33
Once Upon A Night

Ayesha's P. O. V

Things would have been so different if we could erase some of the horrifying memories from our past. Sadly, we cannot escape it. We need to gather the courage to rise from its darkness, face it fiercely and fight it. We have to fight till we get a closure.

The past couple days have been difficult for me. I couldn't stop thinking about the incident in the hospital. Seeing Karan on the ventilator brings back those haunting memories.

The night of 31st December 2018, was one of the nights which I will never forget. I was driving Shreya to her house after the party as she was drunk for the first time and I was sober enough to drive. The apartment was dark and empty as all the things were packed in the boxes. It seemed as if they were moving out. Shreya had passed out so I put her on the bed. I searched for some medicines in the drawers which will help her with the hangover in morning but I couldn't find any. I went to the other room to find it. I opened one of the drawers to shockingly find a gun and an envelope. I opened it to find a couple of photographs and information of Gautam Kapoor, the leading business tycoon and one of the dad's oldest friend who got killed last month. I was in shock, not knowing what to do. A lot of questions were running across my mind. With this gun and Gautam Uncle's photos, this mean that Karan killed him. What could be reason behind it? Was he hired by someone? If so, who was it? Suddenly I heard a noise from the living room. It sounded like footsteps. I quickly went and hid myself in the closet. With the help of the holes in it, I could see what was going on outside. As the footsteps approached, I froze not moving until it went farther away. I saw Karan, going in Shreya's room. I realized that the gun was in my hand, but the envelope with photos out was lying on the bed and the lamp light was on. I panicked, closing my eyes and praying for a miracle to happen that somehow I don't get caught. After a few minutes, I heard him closing the door of Shreya's room and passing by his room. My heart started pounding heavily and I saw him looking at the envelope on the bed. Then he looked around frantically, as if he was searching for someone. The sweat was dripping down my face as he lifted the bedspread to see if someone was hiding underneath. He then approached towards the closet to open it, but then he heard a voice at the front door in the hallway. He quickly rushed out and then I heard the door the banging. After a few moment of complete silence, I sighed and went out. I rushed to find my car keys but couldn't find it anywhere. I hurried myself out of the house with no idea of where to go and I carried the gun with me for my safety. I reached for the doorknob and that's when it yanked open and I saw him staring at me in anger. He pushed inside the house causing me to fall on the ground. He picked me up by my arms and chocked my neck with his hands.

"What are you doing here?", he asked in a threatening but soft voice, keeping a knife on my neck.

"I came here to drop Shreya." I replied.

"Don't lie!", he said tightening his grip. I was short of breath and I didn't know what to do so I did what came naturally on my mind. I bit his hand and pulled away from him and later I kicked him on his manhood. He growled and pushed me towards the door. I landed at my back on the ground and within a matter of a second I picked up the gun on the floor before he could get a hold of me. I was pointing at him and it fired at him straight on his chest. It all happened so quickly that I didn't get time to register it. He was falling on the floor and his head banged on the glass table near him. There was a moment of silence and then I heard the voice of opening of the door. Shreya came out looking hung over, but then she looked at the Karan's body on the floor. She screamed and ran to him. I was in shock of what I have done and I sat on the floor looking at his body. Shreya was crying over him that's when I realized that I killed someone. When I was registering the incidents which happen, I was hearing the sirens and people whispering around as I was escorted to the police van. I did not realize when I fired the gun even when I didn't pull the trigger. After that night, I did not hear from Shreya again until after I moved away from that place. My dad did place some calls which helped me clear all the charges but I wasn't able to rise above the guilt of having someone killed. It still seems like yesterday and feels like Karan's ghost haunts me every time. I am guilty of killing someone and I should be punished but my dad says that I did it in turn of my self defense and that he was a threat to me. He says I should forget what happened and focus on my future. But how can I when this incident of past is continuously haunting me.