12

Once in the hall, Merlin had to stop for a second. He could feel his cheeks burn red.
He was completely astonished that Arthur would pick him of all people to have a love affair with.

Had he just imagined the whole thi-
"Oh, good morning Merlin," Giaus while strolling up to him, interrupting his crisis. "I noticed that you haven't been to your room in a few days. I may turn it into my own sort of library if you no longer have any need if it."

The old man's wise eyes flicker downwards. "I see that you still havent learned to properly dress yourself." Merlin looked down and noticed that the heavy seams of his shirt which were generally not worn on the outside of one's clothing were, in fact, protruding on the wrong side of the fabric.

"...I trust you have someone helping you with that." Giaus smiled knowingly, chuckling to himself. He patted Merlin on the shoulder before hobbling down the hall.

If it were possible, Merlin's face grew a shade redder. He wanted to laugh out of nervousness. Instead, he just closed his mouth, not realizing he was gaping.

Merlin returned to his room and promptly had a wash. He didn't have much time before he was expected to perform his morning duties, like, for example, waking the prince. Well, he'd already done that.
The graphic details of the previous night flooded back to him. The more he thought about it, the more he smiled.

Sweetness, he thought, the night started sorely but I had turned it into sweetness.

He caught his reflection in the small mirror as he was drying off.

He looked different somehow.

It seemed to Merlin that today his eyes were brighter and his expression was surer of itself than it ever had been before.
He looked to himself to be stronger.

Arthur had taken his chastity as well as his virginity. And Merlin gladly gave it to him with sweetness.

It then occurred to Merlin that perhaps Arthur had sought only to find the nearest warm body to seek comfort in. This left a bitter taste in his mouth.

He came up with a hundred excuses as to why this could never be the case, but there always remained that small seed of doubt.

Even in the coming weeks when they continued to see each other more so than they had previously.

Arthur had twice arranged a small intimate dinner in his  chambers with only Merlin as company.

When the knights would infiltrate the pubs, Merlin now, with a royal invitation, tagged along and Arthur seemed to never be more than three feet away from him at all times.
Occasionally, when Gwain would recount one of his heroic tales, Arthur would sneak a loving glance towards him.

And Merlin,  of course, beamed at him any chance he got. It was during this time that Merlin realized that Arthur had changed too. Not just towards him, but everyone.

Every interaction seemed less rough, less hard than it had been. Arthur was still very deliberate in his manner, but there was something very different about him.

He laughed more.

Merlin loved how his eyes would crinkle around the edges when he let out a deep throaty laugh. He loved how his nose was curved slightly in profile. He loved the way his expression changed when he fired an openly playful insult at one of the knights.

Merlin had never seen Arthur this way. Maybe Arthur had truly changed or maybe Merlin just hadn't really looked.

Either way, his heart soared, and his bones leapt when Arthur looked at him.