Chapter Twenty

Logan

Logan

I woke up tied to a chair, neck stiff and wrists raw. The clammy air in the dark room made me want to gag, yet my lungs chugged it down greedily. Tarzan was slumped forward in his own chair, his frizzy hair covering over half of his face. Hoarsely, I called out his name then hunched forward as a coughing fit held my lungs hostage.

A sharp sting had memories pushing forth and I flinched, my gaze darting down to my chest. No blood. I didn't know what the hell I got shot with, but I was glad it wasn't an actual bullet.  

I attempted to gain Tarzan's attention once more as I took stock of how the rest of my body felt. Other than a sore neck and stinging chest, I had a twinge in my right ankle and my wrists burned. Oh, and also an itch that needed some serious scratching on my balls. Which⁠—by the way—I couldn't fucking reach because of my hands being tied behind my back. 

I heard Tarzan groan, and my head whipped in his direction. He slowly raised his head, taking several breaks before it was standing steady on his shoulders. After giving him a moment to collect his bearings I said, "Hurts like a bitch, don't it?"

"Logan?" he groaned while trying to get the hair out of his face by shaking his head back and forth. "Where are we?"

"No idea, my dude. That creepy fucker in the mask knocked us out and brought us somewhere." I pulled my restraints. I knew it would create a worse burn if I kept yanking on them so after no luck I gave up with a curse.

Tarzan began panting heavily, his shoulders quaking. I gaped while he bared his teeth and screwed his eyes shut. "Dude, are you alright?" I asked. 

"Claustrophobic," he grinded through his teeth. "I can't breath." 

Damn it.

"Hey!" I hollered, hoping the masked fucker could hear me. "Someone help us the fuck out down here! Tarzan, buddy, I need you to calm down. Think about open fields and daisies, maybe about a jungle full of hanging vines and fresh air." Fuck. I didn't know how to calm him down, I didn't know a damn thing about claustrophobia. I didn't even know that it affected Tarz. 

After more screaming, the squeak of a door alerted me to a new presence and I shut my mouth. I squinted my eyes and looked up the dark staircase. Boots slowly clunked down the steps, and a man wearing all black and a white face mask revealed himself. Tarzan's panting slowed while his crazed eyes glared at the creep. Good, he was momentarily distracted. 

"You called?" the robotic voice asked. Was that sarcasm? It was difficult to decipher with the unnatural vocals. Whether it was or not, I wished more than anything that I wasn't tied up so I could slam my fist into his stupid masked face. 

"No shit, fucker," I snarled. "Who are you? Why did you kidnap us?" 

The man crossed his arms and tilted his head to the side, his bottomless eyes observing me. "Leverage."