Chapter Fourteen

Victor

Victor

If Gabriel complained one more time my head would explode. None of us wanted to be on campus right now, but it was the perfect opportunity to set up surveillance. Everyone would be at the field later—professors included—so we couldn't pass up the chance to get full access to every room we wanted to put cameras in. 

As I sat on the bench outside in the courtyard with my laptop open, fingers flying over the keys, Gabe once again said, "This is bullshit. Why do we need to miss the game?" 

I made sure to keep my scoff discrete. Him and I both knew that he didn't give a damn about watching the game. Sang was going to be there and all he wanted was to get the chance to talk to her. Playing along, I replied, "This is obviously more important than the game. Besides, if we all work fast, we might be able to catch the last half."

After getting my hands on the school roster, I spent hours looking for any and all information on each individual—medical and criminal records, bank accounts, online data. I was hoping to find something that would stick out but nothing did. Nobody had any criminal history other than petty crimes like public intoxication and shoplifting. 

Emily, one of the girls on Casey's team, tried to help out as well, but her computer skills were nonexistent. I didn't understand why the Academy insisted they follow us to Wayward. The California assignment with them was a disaster. 

"Fine," Gabe grouched. The look in his eyes showed that he'd rather be anywhere else. "What do you need me to do? This is your show, not mine." 

The time on my laptop showed that it was about five o'clock which meant that everyone would be at the field to take their seats in about thirty minutes. Those that walked by us were sporting fan gear and blankets to keep warm once the sun went down. The excitement flowing off of them was almost contagious. 

I continued to do my second comb-through of all the staff as I responded in a distracted voice, "Luke and Kota are probably on their way here with the equipment so it shouldn't be long. You'll be helping keep lookout while we hook everything up." 

"This is pretty damn boring just sitting here," he said for the fifteenth time.  

"Gabe."

"What?"

"Shut up," I said. 

"Oy, fuck you! You sit here and not be bored out of your damn mind while I do whatever it is you're doing on your computer." 

I opened my mouth to respond but something caught my attention on the screen. My eyes scanned over the forum that popped up and I felt my eyes getting wider and wider the further I got into it. How did I miss this?"