Chapter 5 - Assignment

I was about to tell Saylan that I didn't know when 3 short bells rang through campus. Signalling a meeting for the Disciples.

The disciples were the best of our kind. There were 12 of us just like Jesus had 12 disciples. You see, the main purpose for our killing of the werewolf species was because of our faith in God. We believe that anything that wasn't made in God's image should be destroyed. Allthough I had some sort of faith in a higher power, that wasn't my reason for killing. I killed for blood. For revenge.

The conversation of the note from Mr.Omega forgotten, Say and I headed to the Board room that was located in the Main Building. Crossing the field we entered our fellow hunters all gathered out side their homes and stood, bowing in respect as we passed them. We got looks of awe and wonder as we passed. Respect evident in their expressions because they knew this meeting was called to give us our assignments.

Say and I didn't say a word, she knew I would be given my first official assignment without her. Part of being the Head Hunter or the heir to the throne, Headquarters always came first. You were to stay and protect the young and the elderly. Make all the hard decisions and above all annihilate the werewold kind. Head Hunters barely ever went out on assignments, but when they did it was legendary. Some frowned upon the job of the Head Hunter, calling them cowardice when in actual fact, it was the complete opposite. 

To be a Head Hunter you were expected to be strong and capable enough to protect your people from any threat on your own of need be, you had to be kind and caring but fierce at the same time. Head Hunters had to clothe themselves with compassion one moment then find it in themselves to hand down death sentences to those who deserved it.

It was too much.

Usually the throne was inherited as the royal blood running through our veins made us stronger. I couldn't do it.

As the main building came into view I spotted some of the other disciples saying good bye to their famikies before heading over to join us . Tuscani, Shayna & Claire had joined us in our silent walk by the time we made in to the enterance of the main building.

We crossed the elaborate foyer towards the board room. Once all 12 disciples had entered we stood as my uncle Paul who was still our Head Hunter entered and took his seat. Being the true heir I took the seat to his right as Bev took the seat to his left. The others swiftly took their seats in order of their ranks. The higher ranks sat closer to the head of the table where bev, my uncle and I.

Paul cleared his throat and the already silent room crackled with anticipation.

" As you know we have had some trouble with a few other disciples who have turned against their people and now affiliate with the mutts." My face crumpled in disgust and I was struggling to contain my anger as I glaced at Lincoln and Sarahs empty seats. They weren't high in the disciple ranks but they were above average disciples. My uncle sensing my agitation stopped and shot me an understanding look.

"So instead of sending you on assignments in pairs. I have decided to send you alone and only the strong will be sent." There were a few gasps and Jake, one of the younger disciples shot up.

"That is suicide Paul and you know it!! You're a fool! We can barely infiltrate a pack with a partner let alone on our own!" He spat at my uncle. I was ready to tear his heart out for his blatant disrespect when Say beat me to it.

"You will NOT disrespect our leader without consequences Jacob! Remember who you're speaking to or believe me I will slit your throat!" I smirked at my bestfriend swelling with pride at her need to defend the man that taught us all we knew. Jacob's face paled and sat back down.  He had no doubt Say would follow through on her threat, disrespect was not something Hunters took lightly.