Chapter 16 - Leaving

CarterReign

"No. You are not leaving me" I seethed through clenched teeth. My wolf paced around my mind, silently whining at the thought of our mate leaving us.

Her face twisted with pain as she registered my words, but it didn't take long before she regained her composure

"I wasn't asking for permission Carter."  she stated with the familiar fire in her voice that I had grown so accustomed to.

It was in that moment I realized there was nothing I could do or say to keep her by my side. She was strong and stubborn. She had made up her mind and she wasn't going to let me dictate her actions in any way.

I would've been proud if I wasn't feeling like someone was tearing me apart from the inside out.She looked me over one last time, slowly taking in all my features as if trying to commit every inch of me to her memory.

With tears in her eyes she turned towards the door and started to leave.

There was only one option.

"I'm coming with you" I said.

Alex spun around so quick I could barely see.

"DON'T! don't you fucking dare leave this pack without an Alpha Carter" she spat with so much venom I was almost intimidated. almost.

"You and I both know what will happen to this pack without you! They will fall apart and die! that's not what these people deserve, so you better get your shit together and serve your people!"

I was taken aback by her words. Memories of the night my pack was attacked by rogues over took my mind. She was right. This was my pack and I couldn't let them fall apart again. Not now.

"You're right" I whispered.

"but before you leave just answer me this one question" I asked cautiously

she nodded her head in response

"Do you feel anything for me? at all?"

A flash of emotion flashed in her eyes before she so easily covered it with her usual cool facade.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel anything for you. I feel this pull towards you, but I can't be here right now Carter. Please understand that."

With that she kissed my forehead and walked out the door, taking my heart with her.

————————————————————————————————-

Alex POV

My heart was heavy as I left Carter standing in his room, chest heaving with fists clenched. I could literally see his world shattering and I hated myself even more for it. He deserved so much more than this, but I couldn't be the woman he needed. Not right now. Not like this.

I walked through the pack house and exited through the back, passing members as I went who looked at me with trepidation. I didn't blame them.

I walked towards the edge of the Silver Cross territory, praying to the man above that I wouldn't see a certain little pup. That would only break my strong resolve.

I was almost to the boarder when I felt someone following me. I instantly recognized the scent.

"So it's true then. You're leaving huh."

I stopped and faced the Beta and Father of my favourite little wolf.

"He'll miss you, you know"

I sighed and said "I'll miss little Jeremy too you have no idea."

Cade's lips quirked up.

"I wasn't talk about him..."