• • •
_____
Pelham, Alabama
September 15th, 2015
_____

Morgan reluctantly stirred from her sleep, Big Red's crow far louder and more incessant than yesterday morning. The first thing she did was look for Rhett but found the other side of the bed cold and empty. She glanced over to the dull glow from her alarm clock and realized that Big Red had woken her up way too early for the second day in a row. She sighed and cursed the rooster.

As she flung her legs over the side of her bed, the phone on her nightstand flashed white. She rubbed her eyes before grabbing it and checking her messages. Her face softened when she saw Rhett's morning text.

Rhett: Gooda morning, darlin'. Sorry I left. Had something to take care of. Dinner tonight?

Morgan: The Shed?

Rhett: You know it, sugah.

She felt a lot better knowing that he was home. Even if it was for a short period.

Feeling giddy, she sprang out of bed and headed to the chicken coop to put a snooze on the rooster.

The morning went on like any other. Morgan helped her father with the day-to-day chores of the farm, cleaning pens, and feeding the livestock. She could sense that something was troubling him by their short conversations, and though he continued to deny anything was wrong, she worried for him and his health. It was already deteriorating as it was.

Even with her pleading, she couldn't sway him into sharing his burden. That was her father. A man that provided for his family in any way possible, but took on much more than he could bear.

Just as Morgan was about to head to her room to wash the sweat from her body, her folder caught the corner of her eye and brought Atlas' business card to mind.

She didn't have much else to do for the rest of the day and decided it was best to make the appointment before she forgot again.

Taking a rest on the couches' arm, she dialed the number from their house phone.

"Hi, I'm callin' to set-up an meeting with Mr. Mackay."

"I'm glad to see my offer intrigued you."

Morgan was taken by surprise as Atlas' smooth voice rang out from the other end.

"Uhm, yes sir."

"Good. Your appointment is at two. Don't be late."

Bewildered, Morgan glanced over at the grandfather clock. "Two? As in today?"

The line had been cut and she soon realized that he was no longer on the other side.

Not wasting any time, she raced down the hall and clumsily went about her room, searching for something decent to wear. She briefly debated whether to rewear her clothes from yesterday but shook the idea out of her head. The last thing she needed was for him to turn her away because he thought she had bad hygiene.

She finally came across her old church dress from high school and worked her way into it. She threw on a cardigan to hide the fact of how tight the dress really was on her and gathered her things. She dashed out to her truck without so much as a word or a goodbye to her parents.