"Ya shaved it," she said.

She would miss running her fingers through it, though they caught in his hair most of the time.

"Either this or goin' bald," he joked.

She lightheartedly giggled and playfully shoved him in the chest. "Whaddya doin' in Alabama?"

"Did ya forget?"

She frowned, trying to rack her brain. Her own confusion ignited a hearty laugh from Rhett and he handed the flowers over to her. That's when it hit her. Today was their two year anniversary. How could she have forgotten? If anything, she was usually the one to remind Rhett days in advance.

"Awe, shucks!" Morgan groaned, clasping her hands over her face. She felt her cheeks blister out of embarrassment.

Rhett removed them and took her face in his hands. "It's alright, darlin'. Ya look beautiful today."

Blushing, she met him halfway for a yearning kiss and the warmth of his lips against her sent a tingle of electricity through her body.

"Would you two kids come on inside. It looks like dark clouds are formin' ova yonder," her mother interrupted.

Rhett broke off the kiss and Morgan turned to her mother with a pout. She gave her daughter a knowing grin and that was when she came to realize her mother had been in on the surprise.

Rhett nodded in agreement. "Yes, ma'am."

Her mother was right. Within a few minutes of both of them coming inside, the storm clouds had rolled in—hovering ominously over the large acres of land.

After Rhett and Morgan had caught up on each other's lives over the past couple of months, they drew to the privacy of her bedroom.

Lying on the bed with her head resting in the nook of his arm, Morgan spoke over the passing thunder.

"How long before yer leave is up?"

"Three days."

Her arms tightened around his torso, not wanting to let him go. She was saddened to hear that their time together would be so short. She hadn't seen him in over four months and three days was far from making up for that.

She craned her neck to look up at him and he ran his thumb over her cheeks, stroking her constellated freckles. Her wide, brown eyes stared fondly up into his.

"I love ya a bushel and peck," he said low, placing an endearing kiss to her forehead.

She couldn't help but beam. Morgan adored those words.

"And some in a gourd," she whispered back.

Like an old adage, they held their own expression. It was something that never went unsaid during a phone call or voicemail. That's how important it was to them. For her. It didn't just mean they loved one another, it meant they would loved each other even through trial and tribulation.

Morgan rested her head back down as he began stroking her hair and she nuzzled her face into his chest. His kneading fingers and the pitter-patter of the rain lulled her into a deep doze, and that night, she had the best sleep in a very long time.