016 | destroyed (pt 3)

this played out a lot better in my head so i'm sorry for how trash this is.

It has been over three months since the princess had last come across Aladdin. When she told him to go, she meant it, and although that was the last thing he wanted to do, he respected her enough to obey her commands.

She couldn't lie and say that she didn't miss him. She craves the feeling of his lips brushing against hers, the sound of his mellow heartbeat as he held her when she slept, the cheeky smile that always made an appearance when she was around. She missed being able to be so vulnerable with him. Like she didn't have to put up a facade.

The princess sighed deeply as she strolled down the now empty streets of her glorious kingdom. She has convinced her handmaiden to allow her to have space in the kingdom. But, on the condition that she had a guard with her. Although she wanted to scream and say that it still wasn't the space she wanted, she agreed to it.

The guard understood her desire to be left alone, though, so he told her he'd stay a few feet behind her, but still watching with a close eye.

The princess fiddled with the sleeve of her sweatshirt, an item that was new to her. It was a gift from a prince in another country. It was gray—Aladdin's favorite color—and it was very cozy. That prince had also given her a pair of sweatpants to go with it. It was much different from her fancy dresses and pant suits, but she liked it.

As she walked the streets illuminated by the moon and stars, inhaling the sweet air. A sudden sound of rushed footsteps filled her ears, causing her to gasp.

Her footsteps halted immediately. She looked around a few times. "Hello?" she said, wondering if it was a person.

"Nia?" a familiar voice spoke. She whipped around quickly. She swallowed harshly as she came face to face with the boy she'd consider to be the love of her young life.

"Aladdin," she replied, clearing her throat. It was odd hearing him say her name, for he preferred calling her by her title instead. He thought since she was indeed royalty, she should be addressed as such, even by him. "Surprised to see you." She tried to smile to be nice, but the corners of her mouth were struggling to lift. Aladdin saw this and frowned.

"Uh, yeah," he answered, rubbing his arm awkwardly. "H-how's everything been? You look...beautiful. It's been a long three months." His tone is low as he speaks.

Nia had changed over the last few months, though not dramatically. Her hair had grown a few inches, so her tight curls rested beneath her shoulder blade. Her use of makeup had finished, so she allowed her natural beauty to shine. And her aura had changed, too. She seemed much more confident and secure in herself than she had ever been.

"Thanks," she said. "And, yes it has." Aladdin wasn't the only one who took in the differences he noticed.

Nia saw some visible changes in Aladdin's appearance versus when she last saw him. His straight hair was now curly, a look she had never seen before and she wondered how it had gotten to that state. His brown eyes were now dull, and light circles enhanced his under eye. His body seemed to be a bit slimmer. He looked fatigued. She frowned slightly.

"How have you been, Aladdin?" she asked genuinely, deciding to allow that hard facade to diminish. She watched as she shrugged his shoulders and stuffed his hands into his pockets.

"Fine. Doing the same old, same old," he replied, but soon panicked, adding on. "Not the stealing though. Decided maybe that wasn't the best thing to continue doing. I'm sorry about that, by the way. Very, very sorry. It was the wrong thing to do, and I should've talked to you."

Nia blinked, nodding slowly. "I cannot say it's okay, because it wasn't. Your actions hurt me, you made me feel used. You could've came to me and I would've done everything in my power to ensure you were okay. But, I understood your intentions, so I can work on forgiving you."

Aladdin thanked her lowly.

"So..." she trailed off. "How are you...are you eating? What about your home? How are you surviving? That was your way to survival, though I don't agree with it."

He shrugged again. "Not something you should worry your pretty little head about, princess."

She flared her nostrils. "It is something for me to worry about, Aladdin, I care about you! We may have ended things badly, but that doesn't make the love I have for you just disappear."

"It's been a few days, four or five. Nothing serious. Hey, you should head back to the palace, it's late," he said to her, brushing off the conversation.

Nia gasped. "Four or five? Aladdin, I give you one more opportunity to tell me what is going on while I'm still calm. Why won't you talk to me? You still could've came to me."

"Like you would've helped me after what I did to you," Aladdin snapped. "I'm sure it all would've been thrown in my face as it always is. Plus, it's not your issue, it's nothing for you to worry about."

"I wouldn't have! Do you think that low of me? You know I just desired to help you, to love you, to be your home! Why won't you let me?"

Aladdin released a frustrated sigh. "Because I am not the right person for you. You deserve so much, so much, and and cannot give you what you deserve. Do I wish I could? Absolutely, but I can't. And I can't love you if I can't survive."

Nia exhaled softly. "You don't get to make the decision for me, Aladdin. Just? let me in, please." She stepped towards him and placed her hand on his cheek, caressing it softly. Aladdin involuntarily leaned into her touch.

"Just let me in..." her voice was as smooth as butter as she spoke to him, melting away his fear, anxiety, and worry.

"Okay," he mumbled. "Okay."

Nia smiled softly and grabbed his hand softly, intertwining her fingers with his. She called out to her guard, informing him that she was ready to leave.

"Where are we going?" Aladdin asked as they began to walk.

Nia sighed as she fixed her sight on the palace not too far away. With a small smile on her face, she whispered, "Home."

————————————————————-