Chapter 22: Damien

Meanwhile, Damien and Amber lay comfortably on the sofa at her house; he had his arm around her, playing with her soft hair while she lay her head on his chest, and played with his fingers. 

When he was little, he used to say that one day he would marry her, and even though they were still young to talk about marriage, he knew she was the one.

"We've come a long way since we were kids," he said.

"Yes, we have," she sighed.

"And who would've thought Philip would change so much in so little time, it's like a miracle."

She hummed in agreement, and when Damien looked at her, he saw her eyes closed and her breath becoming even, meaning she was falling asleep in his arms.

"I think you should go to bed."

She immediately bolted up.

"No!" she protested, "I'm wide awake."

"Amber, your eyes were closed, c'mon, let's take you upstairs."

"Fine," she whined, "but you have to carry me, I'm too tired to move."

Laughing under his breath at how sleepy she sounded, he picked her up, carried her upstairs, and tucked her in bed.

"Goodnight, princess," he gave her a kiss on the forehead and closed the door as he left.

When he got downstairs, he was surprised to find Tom in the kitchen, considering he didn't hear the front door open or close.

"She fell asleep, didn't she? I knew she wouldn't last that long," he said to him.

"Yes," Damien laughed, "we were talking on the couch, and suddenly her eyes dropped."

"And then the struggle is to get her to go to bed," he said.

"Tom, I wanted to apologize to you; I know I broke the promise I made you to not let anyone hurt your daughter."

"It's okay, Amber told me everything, but I also would've liked you to come to me and tell me what was going on."

"I know, and thank you for being a father figure to me since my mom passed."

"It's a pleasure, and thank you for making my daughter happy."

"I wouldn't want anything else; I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow," Tom replied, and Damien left.