Chapter 1 : Amber

The crisp morning air warmed up as the sun began to shine and the strong scent of the woods still lingered in her nose even after her hike nearby the town. Amerenia was a small country covered in quaint towns, fields, and its own royal family.

Amber had her father's brown eyes and fair skin and her late mother's determination. Her father owned the town's bakery: Gracie's Bakes & Goods, named after her mother.

"Amber dear, those bagels are the best thing I've ever tasted," the elderly woman said as she walked by the busy streets in the market town.

"I'm glad you like them, Mrs. Andersen," she replied.

Sweet aromas hit her nose immediately as she arrived at the bakery, where delightful pastries were stacked on the glass cases and rows of fresh-baked bread lined up on the mint-colored walls behind the counter.

Avery, her best friend, and fellow baker attended a young couple and without interrupting them, she greeted her and went to the kitchen to bake two more batches of cookies as those were the ones that they always ran out of first.

In four days' time, the palace would host a private gala, known as the spring gala and like every year, they hired the bakery to make dozens of pastries for the occasion; this year her dad thought it would be a good idea if Amber came up with the theme for the pastries.

Later that day, Amber and Avery drove to the palace for a meeting about the gala. Beyond its iron gates, stood a 19th-century palace with sharp-cornered roof towers at its sides and tall windows that overlooked the front gardens.

Amber could never live in a place that big, she liked the simpler things in life.

Behind the grand entrance, the furniture was gently illuminated by the chandelier that hung high in the ceiling and a hand-crafted rug that sat on the polished marbled floors.

"Welcome Ladies, Lillian waits for you in the kitchen," Joseph, the butler, said.

As they entered the kitchen, the blonde middle-aged woman greeted them with a warm hug. Lillian and Joseph were her father's closest friends; in fact, they knew each other since their high school days. Lillian had become like a mother to her and Joseph was the uncle she could go to when she got in trouble.

"Why so excited Lillian?" Amber asked.

"You haven't told her yet?" Joseph interrupted.

"Haven't told me what?"

"I was going to tell you soon but–"

"Damien is to arrive in two days, so–" A new voice interrupted from the doorway.

As soon as she heard his name, her body temperature dropped, shock overtook her face and her mouth went dry. She hadn't seen, let alone spoken to Damien in years, at least not since he cut ties with her without an explanation and ran away.

She swallowed before turning to the voice, immediately meeting eyes with Damien's older brother and the future King of Amerenia, Philip.