Chapter 7: Temari's Wind

As I finished my month of training I felt more and more nervous about the finals. Something seemed weird about these exams, I just didn't know what.

Mia, is everything alright? Artemis asked as we headed to the arena.

"I'm not sure. Something seems strange." I muttered as we walked through the crowds forming for the event.

What do you mean? Apollo muttered back.

"Think about it, these exams bring people from all over. Something about having all these people together in one place doesn't feel right." I explained as we went inside the arena. Stepping into the sunlight I saw Gaara's team. Some of the Hidden Leaf Village's ninjas, but I could tell some people weren't here yet.

"Welcome Mia." The proctor said to me, I gave him a nod and stood by Temari. She glared at me but I ignored it.

We waited for what seemed like forever but finally Naruto showed up last and in his typical fashion.

Idiot...

The proctor showed us the matches once more and told Naruto and Neji to stay while the rest of us went to the viewing area. I turned on my heels and walked with Artemis and Apollo upstairs.

I leaned over the edge and watched as the match began.

Mia, you know you can't hide from me forever. Shei's voice broke through the sounds of the match. I could feel the headache starting, this happened every time he spoke to me. I moved my hand to my head.

Mia? Artemis looked at me.

"I...I have a headache..." I muttered and turned away from the match going to the darkest part of the viewing area. I slid down against the wall, clenching my head tightly.

What's the matter? Can't handle me after all these years?

"Shut up..." I spat out. I looked in the direction of the others, thankfully no one was looking at me.

Are you afraid they'll think you're a freak?

"No."

You're worried about your little boyfriend, Gaara, aren't you? I could hear his laugh echoing in my head.

"Go away." I muttered.

For now I will, but I'll never truly be gone...

The headache slowly went away and I felt like I could breath again. I rose slowly and walked back over to Apollo and Artemis.

Better?

I simply nodded and watched the ending of Naruto's match. I smiled lightly as I saw Naruto win.

"You might be someone to look out for." I muttered. 

"Do you actually think that little brat is going to be something special?" Temari mocked. I chuckled.

"I could say the same about you." I heard her clenched her fists.

"Why you little-"

"Save it for the match." I stated and listened as the proctor stated we would move on to the next match to give more time to Naruto's teammate.

"Mia and Temari come down." I jumped down and landed beside Temari as she jumped. We stepped forward and I could feel the tension in the arena. I mean I was the last person from the Village Hidden in the Snow, maybe people were interested to see what I could do. "If you two are ready the match can begin." The two of us jumped back from one another.

"Let's see if all that training you were doing was worth it." She mocked. I smirked.

"I remember you looking terrified before Gaara interfered, I don't think you have much on me." I vanished quickly and appeared behind her. She just barely managed to block my kick with her fan.

"Cutting Whirlwind!" She called out her fan unfolding. I vanished before the wind could hit me and kicked her in the side. She went flying into the wall.

"You're a long range attacker, not a close combat person. You'll find I'm both." I put my hands together. "Blizzard jutsu." The snow storm started and I vanished into it.

It's time to end this, Mia. Shei stated. I lifted my hand to my head.

Mia! Apollo called out.

"Go finish this." I moved my head and they both vanished into the storm. "Just don't kill her." I whispered as I heard the fan and the screams as they met their target. I brought down the blizzard to see Apollo and Artemis were biting down on her arm and leg, keeping her from moving. "I wouldn't struggle, Apollo and Artemis use their fangs to cause frostbite to the body. The more you struggle the worse it will get." I explained as blood dripped from both areas.

"This match is over, the winner is Mia." The proctor called the match.

"How...is that possible, you dodged the wind like it was nothing."

"I've trained in harsh winter storms for half of my life. I won't lose to wind." I signaled for Apollo and Artemis to let go and we turned away. "The frostbite will wear off on its own, you just need to rest." I started walking away.

"Why didn't you kill me?! Just like you did to Dosu?" I stopped.

"You already know the answer to that question. You're smart, Temari. You're also very strong. If I had met you when I was a child I would have been jealous of the person you were." I said nothing more before heading back up to the viewing area. Gaara was now looking at me or more like he was trying to see through me.

You ruin the fun. Shei stated as I leaned down to look over the railing.

"Shut up, Shei."