A Little Party Never Killed Nobody (Part 2)

"You still talk to him, though," I say. It's not a question. 

        "Yeah. But he doesn't seem like the cute, relationship type. It's more of the good friends type," Violet replies. "He's so nonchalant." I watch Conner laugh at something and grab Matt's shoulder. The big flirt. "Like, he doesn't notice me..." Violet trails off.

        "That sucks," I reply. What if? I'm sure Conner has an abundant amount of tricks up his sleeve; I wonder if it's enough to get straight guys to mess around with him. In truth, I guess I never thought I was straight, so I don't count. But Matt on the other hand...

        "As in, if I'm with other guys, he doesn't really care... I could seriously make out with you right now and Conner would shrug," Violet interrupts my thoughts. I jump at the realization of what she just said. "Kidding."

        "You weren't," I counter. She shrugs. Conner shoots a glance my way and whispers something in Matt's ear. Matt shakes his head 'no' with a laugh. That stupid little--

        "So, I know you've probably heard it a million times. But why did Ashley Durst say that crap about you?" Violet asks. "Not trying to be mean. I just wanted to know." I don't say anything, hoping that my lack of response will drop the topic. "I know the guy. I know the one she said you made out with."

        "Landon or something, right?" I ask.

        "Logan. He's really sweet."

        "Poor him." The song ends and Violet turns to face me, shaking her head. "What?"

        "You'll never understand what it's like to be gay or bi. He goes through a lot, you know." I'm close to bursting into laughter, right in her face. Ha! I'm screwing him, chick. You know nothing about him. 

        "Violet. I'm not being insensitive. I'm just saying--" I stop short as Conner catches my eye, throwing me one of his smug little smirks. "Looks like your boyfriend wants to talk to you," I lie. Violet waves once to Conner before flipping him off. "Go talk to him."

        "No way." Violet crosses her arms and turns fully away from him. Matt is playing on his phone, and Conner bites his lip at me, raising his eyebrows. I take after Violet, flipping him off as well. What a tool. I'm hoping to God Matt isn't stupid enough to fall for Conner's conniving little tricks. 

        When Conner sticks one finger between his lips, I decide it's best for me to get out of here. At least out of the living room. Maybe coming to this party wasn't a great idea. 

         I say a quick 'excuse me' to Violet before bolting off downstairs. It seems too early for people to be screwing around in one of Janie's rooms, so I eenie-meenie my way into one after grabbing a drink. It's dark; I flick on the lamp before sitting down on the bed.

        "Bored already?" I hear a smooth voice say from behind me. I jump a mile and spill a drop or two of my drink before whipping my head around. "Didn't mean to scare you. Sorry."

        "M-my bad." My breath catches in my throat. I'm finally talking to him.

        Mystery Hipster Guy shakes his head. "No, no. It's alright. I'll leave. You look just about fed up with everything." He sighs and stands up, brushing off his neat, buttoned shirt.

        "Hey!" I say a little excitedly. "You look fed up, yourself. And you were here first." I down my drink. "I insist."

        "You know? How about we both stay here and be fed up?" he chuckles. I shrug, and we both sit down again. After some slightly awkward silence, he says: "You're Owens?"