Part 22: The Hideout

A/N

The first half of this chapter is a continuation from the last one, but it does move into part of the plot of season 3.

[Name]'s POV

"I've been meaning to ask how your arm is," I say while walking over to Erwin as he adjusts the bandaging.

"It'll take time, but the doctors say it will heal," he responds, and I smile.

"Well, that's good to hear. Now, let me see the gun," I request, and Erwin hands to me. I cock the pistol before aiming at a target and pulling the trigger after each cycle. The casings of the cartridges pop out of the extractor, and I lower the gun as the slide locks back to signal to me the magazine is empty. "And that's how it works."

"Damn, [Name], you're a good shot!" Hange cheers, and I chuckle while looking at the target to see I obliterated the bullseye.

"That's a powerful handgun," Mike states as I walk over to them.

"The design is far superior to what we currently use. The ability to fire several shots without having to reload or re-cock the pistol each time allows for a quicker shot. It also appears to be a safer design," Erwin says while Levi examines the spare pistol.

"Leon told me that Marley's technology is much further advanced than ours," I explain, holding the pistol out to Erwin. "I guess you're probably going to want this back."

Erwin stares at the gun before placing his hand over mine and lowering it back to my side. "You can keep both, but I would like to have one disassembled at some point, so our gunsmiths can design and build these. I'll return it to you right after it's reassembled."

"Okay, then hold onto the gun that Levi's looking at. I'll give you a cartridge as well, so the design for both the gun and cartridges can be figured out and more can be created," I say before remembering the paper that Leon gave me that I still haven't read. "Shit!"

"What is it?" Mike asks as I slip my pistol into my waistband before reaching into the pocket of my black skinny jeans and pulling out the folded note.

"This is the note Leon gave me. I didn't get to read it," I murmur while unfolding it and smoothing it out to reveal a lengthy letter. 

[Name],

If I had to give you this letter, I knew I was going to be killed. You're probably looking for answers to the secrets that have been kept from you, so here are the ones I can provide for you. You're from Marley, and you were brought to Paradis Island for protection. I can't tell you much about your family name as it's a secret the Royal Government and your family has kept, but I can explain what all I know.

The one thing your family never kept a secret was the premonitions they had for Titans, but that's not what Marley's worried about. There's always been a mystery around your family and rumors of great power, but as I said already, the only ones who know the truth are your family and the major noble families of Marley's government. Whether it's the connection between the [L/Name] and the Titans or not, Marley's government was threatened by your family.

They were executing anyone with [L/Name] blood, so when you were born, you're parents brought you here. I know you were constantly told they abandoned you, but they didn't. They were executed by Joel, but they loved you, [Name]. Your parents were executed because Marley found out where they took you and sent the others and me. Since you were a baby, they knew you didn't know the family secret yet, so they wanted you kept alive, trained, and then brought back.

I made sure that you never went back though, and I'm glad I did, but now your life is in danger. Watch your back out there because Marley's been trying to track you to either capture or kill you, and I have a feeling they want the latter option more, [Name], so be careful. You staying alive is important for the survival of humanity on this island.