Chapter 10: Two Days to Go [Edited- New Chapter]

A/N- 2021

So, I just wanted to give you all more moments with some of the characters, and this was originally just going to be a part of the following chapter, but it got way too long, so I split it.

-four weeks later-

Two days...

You have two days before the 57th Expedition begins. You take a deep breath while looking out the window to the spare bedroom of the house Petra grew up in. She told you a few days ago about how much her parents wanted to meet you because of how often she talked about you to them, and you agreed to go with her yesterday when she went home for a visit.

Over the past month, you and Petra got extremely close with each other. You're practically attached at the hip, and Kaito and Shiro like to tease you that you replaced them with her as your best friend. They know that's not true. Those two are irreplaceable, but Petra also became one of your best friends, and she holds a top spot with them. Something about you and her just clicks, and you get along like you've known each other your whole lives. She's like a sister to you, and it brings you pure joy. Having her in your life has only made it better.

It was nice to meet her family yesterday, and it was even nicer for them to let you stay the night. Her father, Franz, and her mother, Sarra, surprised you both with the most delicious meal you've had your entire life. Just thinking about it makes you dread returning to HQ and having the bland soup, potatoes, and bread.

Geez, when did you become picky about food?

You suppose it comes naturally with having more options since you don't live in the Underground anymore. You couldn't afford to be picky down there; you ate whatever food you could to survive. That's not necessary up here, though. You have more options, and you've gotten to discover what foods you prefer.

Someone knocks on the door to the room you stayed in, and you look up as it opens to reveal Petra with a tired smile on her face. You chuckle at her disheveled appearance, making you check the clock near the bed you slept in, noting that it's almost noon.

"Sleep well?" You shoot Petra a smirk as she runs a hand through her messy locks.

"Best sleep I've gotten in a while," she tells you before leaning against the doorframe and raising an eyebrow. "How about you?"

"I slept great."

"I'm glad to hear. My parents have breakfast - well, lunch, by this point - downstairs for us, so get your ass up!"

You gasp in mock offense while standing up. "Excuse me, but I don't think I'm the one who slept in until close to noon."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Petra giggles as you both walk out of the room.

You shoot her an amused look before chuckling and shaking your head. God, you love Petra, and you are so glad you got to meet her and become friends with her. Everyone at HQ knows that if someone crosses one of you, the other will deal with it, so most people know not to fuck with you both. You smirk at your thoughts before remembering that you have to head back to HQ today. After all, you got cleared by the doctors at headquarters almost two weeks ago to resume everything normally, and while you already brushed up on your training, you would like to do some more.