Chapter 29

[Barry]

Her warmth was still all around me when my eyes fluttered open the next morning. She was curled up against me, fast asleep, her fingers interlaced with mine and my arm wrapped around her waist over the sheet that covered our naked bodies. The sunlight caught my eye and I looked up for a brief moment. Through an opening in the curtains I could see the sunrise and it was nothing short of breath taking, and yet my heart skipped a beat when it realised that the most beautiful work of art in the universe was asleep beside me. I gave her shoulder a tender peck, hoping not to wake her but wanting to show her body a little more love. I slowly moved away, untangling our hands and being extra careful not to disturb her sleep. After the last few nights we’d just had I was sure she needed it. Surprisingly enough I felt giddy and energised. I’d never felt so physically, emotionally and psychologically alive. Deciding to take advantage of my new found strength, I slipped on my sweats and made my way into the kitchen. What better way is there to wake her up than with breakfast in bed? I thought. Unfortunately I didn’t get very far before she joined me in the kitchen.

“Good morning.” she said, her voice slightly husky from sleep. I was manning the stove, flipping some pancakes, when she came up to me and hugged me from behind. Standing on the tips of her toes she planted a soft kiss on my cheek then rested hers against my back.

“Hey gorgeous. What are you doing up?” I asked, hoping she’d go back to bed.

“I couldn’t sleep any longer, the bed got cold without you,” was her reply. I smiled so widely that I was afraid I’d pull a face muscle. Is that even possible?

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to wake you. I just wanted to surprise you with some breakfast in bed.” I said and she let out a slow groan.

“Don’t spoil me. I’ll get used to it.” She said and I put the pan aside and turned around to face her. She looked up at me, her doe eyes were back to their soulfully enchanting chocolate brown hue and I stared into them before planting a kiss on her forehead.

“There are those brown eyes that stole my heart.” I said and watched as they widened to near perfect circles.

“They’re not purple anymore?” she asked and I shook my head. She smiled and rushed into the bathroom, no doubt to make sure I wasn’t kidding, and an excited yelp sounded from that direction a few seconds later. She came back into the kitchen with a smile that made her look utterly adorable and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“What?” she chuckled out and I shook my head as I set the plate of steaming pancakes on the table.

“Nothing, I just think you’re really cute.” I answered then added, “Breakfast is served.” A mischievous grin took over her features as she eyed me up and down like **I** was breakfast, then she walked round the island, towards me, in a sultry manner. Pressing her palms firmly against my chest she reached up and teased my lips with her own.

“Don’t you want any breakfast? I mean, I know it’s not your French toast but… my pancakes are… pretty good,” I stammered, the air hitching in my throat as she dragged her fingers across my chest, then my abs, then…

“Oh I do,” she whispered into my ear then planted a kiss on the crook of my neck.  

“I’m just not hungry for pancakes,” she said and her eyes flashed purple, once more, with desire.

 *******************************************

Breakfast in bed happened after all, in more ways than one, and I ended up feeding her pancakes as we joked around with nothing but sheets to keep us decent. It felt liberating to act like a normal couple in their early twenties, just enjoying each other’s company in every way possible. Two more rounds of passion later (one of which involved a shower after she trapped me under the pretence of needing help with her hair) I began to establish a pattern. Each time she got aroused her eyes glowed a deep violet purple, and after we were done ravishing each other they went back to normal. Strangely enough I always felt a lot more energised after, like instead of tiring me out she charged me up. I just couldn’t make sense of it all. I thought about it during our car ride to the recording studio. I didn’t want to impose on her work but she insisted that I tag along and I couldn’t say no to her when she asked with such… let’s call it charisma. In the recording room we were greeted by H.R. and someone who later introduced himself as Cisco Ramon. He gave me a firm handshake and with a stern face said,

“You better take good care of our flower.”

Iris laughed and playfully slapped his arm.

“Cisco, isn’t that supposed to be Wally’s speech?” she teased and he held out his finger to her responding with,

“Hey, hey, hey, I’m your adoptive brother and I get to do the speech too.”

“Well his clearly making her happy, I mean look her, she’s absolutely glowing!” H.R. remarked then added,

“And not in the purple, super hero kinda way.” A visible tint coloured her cheeks as a shy smile spread across her lips and reached her pretty brown eyes with a sparkle.

“Is that…is that a blush I see?” Cisco joked and we all broke into fits of laughter.

“Very funny Mr Ramon. Now come on, enough small talk. We have work to do,” she says before pecking my cheek and walking into the booth. Cisco offered me a pair of headphones and I put them on while I watched as Iris transformed into West. As soon as the recording started her voice resonated, clear and articulate from the booth. I closed my eyes and reminisced about the many nights where the sound of her voice would lull me to sleep. The moment felt like a dream. I had been entranced by a voice and now I found myself in love with the woman who owned it. Each punctuated line and word emphasized transmitted such raw emotion, making it easier for me to picture each character and scenario. I felt myself drifting but before I could completely let go, the session ended. She stepped out of the booth and I took the headphones off as I stood up to embrace her.

“You were great in there.” I told her as I planted a kiss on the top of her head.

“Thanks babe.” She smiled, the blush returning to her cheeks and after a few brief fair wells, we were on our way to pick Nora up from my parents house. We all agreed that school wasn’t what she needed right now. I kept my eyes trained on the road as Iris sang to whatever song played on the radio. Occasionally I’d join her in song, taking the opportunity to hold her hand and kiss it. It was like we started off almost exactly where we left off nine months ago with the exception that we’re a lot closer and know a bit more about each other.

“You know, we haven’t been on an official first date yet.” I remarked and she chuckled.

“Wow Barry I didn’t think you had it in you,” she said.

“Had what in me?” I asked with a confused smile.

“Bed a girl before you take her out. I hope you’re planning on making a decent woman out of me,” she said placing her hand on my thigh. To my relief (and utter disappointment) we arrived. I pulled into the drive way and we got out. My mom opened the door, with Nora hiding behind her, but as soon as she saw us she charged out of the door with her arms outstretched. Iris kneeled and Nora ran into her arms, giving her a tight hug. She filled our daughter’s face with kisses and Nora laughed out. The sound echoed through the street, transforming it into a place where peace and joy seemed to perpetually walk hand in hand.

“Hey! Don’t I deserve some love too?” I asked opening up my arms and kneeling down to Nora’s height. Nora and Iris exchanged calculating looks and before I knew it they both tackled me down on to our front lawn. My father joined my mother on the front steps and they laughed at the scene while the girls almost tickled me to death. I pulled them both down on top of me and we laid there, on the grass, cackling up a storm. We were a family, sans worries, unbothered by extraordinary powers, unaffected by living nightmares. Just a group of people who loved and would go to the ends of the earth for each other, enjoying a moment of absolute jubilant bliss.  

************************************

8
!!!!!!!!!