Chapter 10

******** cliffhanger warning  *******

[Iris]

My head was still spinning from the events that had just occurred. One minute I was falling into a certain trip to the hospital and the next I was safely cradled in Barry's surprisingly strong arms. He seemed as surprised as I was that he could move that fast. He began to fall and I wrapped my arm around his waist to keep him up.
"Are *you* okay?" I asked this time. He looked pale and disoriented.
Closing his eyes for a brief second he answered,
"Yeah, just got a little dizzy."

"Let's get you seated." I said, pulling his arm over my shoulders so that I could help him walk. We walked the short distance to a nearby café and I helped him to a booth near the back. He sat down limply and I got worried so I ordered him a brownie incase his blood sugar levels were low and some water. I pressed my lips to his forehead to see if he had a fever and he cracked a smile.
"I appreciate the gesture mom, but I don't think a forehead kiss is needed. I'm fine." he joked.
"The hell you are." I said worried.
"You have a slight fever and you can barely keep your eyes open. I think you need a doctor Barry." I expressed my concern but he just kept smiling at me.
"I just need some sleep. This is probably exhaustion." he said laying his head back against the booth.
"Exhaustion? How can you be exhausted? It's only the second day of classes. " I asked.
"I haven't been...able to...sleep..." he slurred falling asleep.
"Barry?" I whispered but he was out like a light so I got one of my prescribed books and started reading. Being me I couldn't resist a good brownie so I helped myself to it and ordered a chai latte to go with the mid day treat. Half an hour went by and Barry was still fast asleep so I called my dad to make sure everything was alright and to let him know that I was gonna be late. He didn't seem to mind at all, in fact he seemed happy, I could hear the smile in his voice while we spoke. He and Cecile must have been enjoying Nora's company. After I dropped the call Barry shifted and laid his head against my shoulder. He had to lean his whole torso towards me considering our height difference, but the action felt natural, it felt right. Like his head belonged there.

Tentatively, I reached my hand over and caressed his cheek. His skin was scalding hot, his fever had risen and I was back to worrying.
"Barry." I whispered while lightly shaking him, but he didn't budge. "Barry!" I yelled prompting a few questioning glances to be sent our way, yet still, Barry wouldn't wake.
"Lord please let him be ok." I thought pulling out my phone and calling for an ambulance.
The small café was shook by a sudden burst of energy as a commotion broke through amongst the coffee drinkers and cronut lovers. The ambulance arrived moments later and I couldn't leave Barry's side so I went with him. I held his hand and said a silent prayer in my mind that he would be alright. I'd just met him and yet the thought of possibly losing him petrified me. At the hospital they took him in for examination and I waited impatiently in the waiting room. I wanted to be in there with him. Comforting him, telling him he'd be alright but the truth was I had no idea if he was or wasn't. I sat on one of the chairs, suddenly feeling drained by the weight of my helplessness, as tears of frustration flowed down my face.
"Please let him be alright." I sobbed. "Please."