Imprisonment

ALICE

"We'll be alright Alice..." Doctor Roland would say.

He'd always assure me we'd be alright. I wondered where Ryder was. If he was okay...

The Doctor and I were contained in a padded room. He was captured by Mogwai just a few hours after I was. The room was dark for most of our time there. I couldn't tell what the time was,whether it was day or night, or how long we'd been there...

Light would ocassionally fill the room.

A man's voice would appear over the intercom and tell us that our food was delivered. If you could call what they fed us food. All it was were trays filled with this disgusting grey paste that both the doctor and myself choked down night after night and morning after morning. 

During decontamination they'd force us to strip naked at gunpoint, enter with a large hose and let it rip. The focused and condensed blast of water was painful and the water was often cold as ice. They'd take our clothes and leave us again, returning to hand our clothes back later. We'd have dried off by the time they returned. 

"Just tell me where he is, and this all ends." A woman would say. 

"I do not KNOW!" Roland would shout back.

"HE'S A FUCKING ROBOT ROLAND YOU MUST HAVE PROGRAMMED HIM TO GO SOMEWHERE!"

"HE IS A SYNTHETIC! HIS THOUGHTS ARE HIS OWN! HIS ACTIONS ARE ONE OF THOUGHT NOT SOME FUCKING ALGORITHM! He's alive!"

"That IS NOT POSSIBLE! TELL ME WHERE YOU SENT HIM!"

"FOR THE LAST TIME I DON'T KNOW WOMAN! AND IT'S POSSIBLE NOW!"

And so they'd argue back and forth. I couldn't help but feel as though Doctor Morgan had a deeper relationship to the woman than what he let on. She didn't address him as Doctor Morgan, she addressed him as Roland. A first name basis wasn't really something I heard of between the owner of a mega corporation and a doctor who worked for one. 

I sat silently in the corner,falling asleep when I felt tired and using the small toilet they had us use when I needed to. I was slightly uncomfortable knowing people were watching me but Doctor Roland turned away whenever I used it so that comforted me a bit more. 

Still, I was scared. I wondered if Ryder was okay. What was he doing? How was he doing? 

I felt I would never know, until a day came when one of the scientists forgot to turn the intercoms microphone off....