Chapter 2: Beginning

I put the black Jeep in park and took my key out of the ignition. Looking out the window at the students hoarding into the school through the slim glass doors. Hollandale High, home of the Panthers. The first thing you saw were banners hanging up in our school colors, black and a very shiny gold.

Wesley and I hopped out of the car "I still don't understand how you have a car, and I don't." This was an argument he liked to strike up.

"Once again Wes, if you get a job, save up your money, and give mom and dad 5,000 as I did, then you can get a car. Stop bringing this up every time." I ended the conversation quickly, not wanting to stir up the same old argument that he liked to start.

Both of us waved and said our usual hellos to passing peers we knew. We finally stopped at the benches, our waiting spot for our friends. "They're taking too long. I'm leaving. See you when I sneak into your study hall." Wes waved.

"You do realize we have Chemistry first period?" His eyes went big.

"Oh, fuck my life. I forgot what schedule day it was. I have a test today."

"You'll be fine. You're smart." I placed a comforting hand on his back and felt a pair of different hands on my shoulders. Before I could turn around, Blair jumped on my back wrapping her arms tightly around my neck for support.

I looked up at her through the flowing red hair from her scalp that was now covering me like a shaggy mop and smiled. "Good morning to you too. Where's Kenji?"

"Right here." He came walking up, handing me an apple juice bottle he got every morning from the vending machines. Nova walked alongside him, giggly coming up behind Wesley and hugging from behind, giving him a quick kiss once he turned around to look at her.

These goofs, minus Wes and his girlfriend, were my best friends. Blair with her straight red bob that sat just below her shoulders. Her Scottish genes blessed her with gorgeous jade-like eyes that popped with her signature red matte lipstick.

Kenji was Japanese and one of the tallest people I knew, which worked well for him being on the basketball team. His slick back black hair and dark eyes worked well for him. He and I met in 9th grade. And although it was a year after I had become friends with Blair, I was closer to Kenji than her. And him the same. It wasn't purposeful, just something about the way we clicked differed from how Blair clicked with either of us.

But we cannot forget Alex. We sadly didn't attend the same school but we get to hang out all the time at work since his dad owns the place. His hazel eyes and light honey-colored skin are just like Nova's. When we are all together, people think they're related. Nova was the sweetest girl you'd ever meet. If she could wear dresses every day, she probably would. She had great voluminous natural black curls. And although Wesley would probably never admit it, he was kind of a part of our friend group too. Whenever there was me, Kenji and Blair were not that far behind. Wes and I said goodbye to our friends and made our way to Chemistry, preparing for the day to come.

The day went along slow until I made it to English class. This class is one of the few ones I actually enjoyed. Mrs. Lansette was the coolest lady you would ever meet. Her classroom was tranquil.

She had tapestries, fairy lights, plants, and a big mustard yellow couch that everyone fought over. Although it was for Tea and Table Talk book club meetings after school and we weren't permitted to use it during class, on days when we weren't really doing anything or working by ourselves, we could have the couch to sit in and chill.

As I walked into class, the first thing I saw was Coen McAllister and his girlfriend, his head in her lap. "Get a room, McAllister!" Malik laughed and shot me a smile. I hated that it still sent small jolts of electricity through my bones whenever he looked at me like this.