Chapter 18: Enamored

"I've got a pocket got a pocket full of sunshine!!" Tyrone was pretty much screaming the lyrics at this point. The bass of the music steadied as the climax of the song approached. He's gonna have a sore throat in the morning.

We had been here in our rented room at the karaoke bar for a couple hours now. Everyone was laughing, eating, and of course, obnoxiously singing happy birthday to me every thirty minutes. Eighteen. Finally, eighteen.

"Okay son, I think it's time for me to take the mic. Helen, bring the margarita!" My mother stepped onto the bright stage, scrolling through the list of songs with Helen giggling. "I'm gonna have to drive her home. The two of them are definitely tipsy." Coen smirked, stepping up to join my lean against the wall.

His gaze lingered on his mom, and he couldn't help the smile that fell on his lips to see her so happy. My gaze lingered on him. The beaty of his side profile. He noticed, slowly turning back to look at me. Don't look at me like that.

In our stare, all the sounds of the duet happening on stage melted away. His lips turned up into a soft smile, and his eyes—unwavering—peered into my soul. If I stayed any longer, I would pour out myself like wine and hope he'd desire to be intoxicated. I was obsessed and completely smitten.

"Time for gifts! Serenity, here's the makeshift throne for you." I turned my head at the sound of my name. Wesley was patting the top of a chair he had pulled into the front middle of the room. Fuck. Had we been gazing into each other's eyes for the entire song?

I sat against the chair, heat rising up the back of my neck. I played with the tag of my Doc Martens in a poor attempt to calm my anxious, overthinking nerves. Kenji stepped forward, a small gift bag in his hands. "From Blair, Alex, Nova, Dominic, and I. We're broke so don't expect much."

I laughed at his speech. I forced a smile on my face. I was grateful for such great friends and a loving family, but I absolutely hated opening presents in front of people. My parents and Wesley had already given me my present at home: books I had listed on my Christmas list, a new duvet cover, clothes, and the pair of boots currently on my feet. They knew I disliked the spotlight and I would've said forget it, but the look on my parents and friends faces as they waited for me to open the bag made all negative emotions fade away.

I glanced at everyone, pulling the blue bag open and removing the tissue paper. There was a small white box with black pen written over the top. Hurry up and open it. I chuckled at the words, guessing it was written by Kenji. I gripped the edges of the top, pulling it up to view its contents.

An engraved glass treble clef ornament. A silky red ribbon tied in a bow allowed me to pick it up. I brought it closer, reading the white engravement written at the bottom. When you get in treble, you can always call us and we'll be there.

I looked up at Kenji, a soft pout on my lips as I tried not to cry at the sweet message. He ran a hand through his hair, blush creeping up on his cheeks. "Just something to remember us by."

Us moving away for college was something I decided not to think about because every time I did, I wanted to sob. Kenji, my best friend, there is nothing in this world that could ever make me forget you.

He fidgeted with his hands; he was trying not to cry. I placed the ornament delicately back into the box and my father quickly intercepted it as I stood to my feet and brought him in for a hug. "Says the one with the basketball scholarship. When you're playing in the NBA, remember I'm only a dribble away." He chuckled at my attempt at cracking a pun, pulling back to fist bump me. I walked over to Blair, pulling in Dominic, Alex, and Nova for a hug too. I had the best friends I could ask for.