Chapter 6: Imperfect

As the knocks at the door registered, Wesley rushed past me to open it before I had the chance. Assuming it was Nova—because why else would he move so fast—I continued blowing up the air mattress, using my shins to push it snug into the corner of our sectional couch.

"Hi, Serenity." Nova waved at me; Wesley snuggled up close behind her. I smiled back, wiping sweat off my brow. "Tell your shadow to give me the wire basket, comforter, and lots of blankets from the basement." Nova giggled, turning around to look at him. "You heard her, get to it." Wesley groaned, scurrying off, middle fingers in the air towards the basement door.

She walked around toward where I was standing, admiring my sleepover-ready setup. I set twinkling Christmas lights up around the flatscreen, a stack of movies, snacks, and board games up on the coffee table moved from its original position. I had already set four pillows, two comforters, a duvet, and two blankets up, waiting for Wesley to get the others. There was an awkward silence. I could tell there was something on her mind, but she didn't know how to say it out loud.

"You good?" I startled her from her inner thoughts, her hair bouncing from the sudden head turn. "Uh." She stopped talking and looked toward the couch, moving to sit down and pulling me down with her. For the time I had known her, she was never one to hesitate on speaking her mind. She scanned the room, making sure Wesley had not come back yet.

"I was having sex with your brother—"

"Oh, God..."

"And the condom b-broke—"

"Oh, God!"

She put a hand over my mouth to shush my automatic yelling. "Ren! Listen. The condom broke and my period is late like four days and now I'm fucking freaking out! I can't be a teen mom! Do you really wanna be an aunt?! I think not! What do I do?!" It was my turn to shush her yelling.

I took in a deep breath, connecting our gaze, and placed a soft hand over hers, urging her to relax. "Are you on birth control, yes, or no?" She gnawed at her lips. "Yes...but I might've messed up taking the pills at the same time every day. I don't know." I could hear her voice getting ready to crack, her golden eyes starting to blur with tears. "I assume you haven't taken a pregnancy test. You will be alright Nova. I'll figure out some way to get a pregnancy test and you can take it tonight."

"But I'll be with Wesley all night. I'm sure if you come and steal me away it's gonna look obvious. We don't hang out by ourselves all that much." She was right about that. I wanted to hit her with a joke saying how much more we'd be hanging out if I became an aunt, but this wasn't the time for jokes. "I'll just come in complaining about period things asking for your help." She leaned forward, wrapping her arms around me into a hug. Once we both relaxed, her arms got tighter. I could hear her breathing steady in my ears, a soft-spoken thank you leaving her mouth.

"I have to tell Blair though. She's the one I'm gonna get it from. Is that okay?" She smiled. "That's fine. The more the merrier in the bathroom I guess."

"Why is Blair gonna be in the bathroom with you?" Wesley came walking in, throwing the blankets at my face. Fabric entered my mouth, my body instantly flying back against the corner of the sectional.

"Period things," Nova spoke up, sending a smirk my way. The doorbell rang out and Wesley hurried toward the door, leaving the conversation. As the front black door swung open, I saw him walk in. Bags dropping to the floor as he groaned from the pain of the straps. His grown-out brown buzzcut turned into dark green almost black loose strands that he made sure to flaunt to us in photographs. Tall build. Studious glasses he always wore whenever he was in lazy day wear. My parents must have known because right on cue they entered downstairs, rushing to embrace him. Tyrone and Macy along with them. Leaving me to stare in small disbelief.