Chapter 3: Reunion

"Serenity, when you first came to the school district, you had some trouble. But I saw you become today's clever woman before me." Principle Wells talked. In his old, cracky leather chair, he pushed up his silver glasses and leaned back. The archiving cabinets stuck close in his small office.

"I don't want to suspend you. I really don't. If you get suspended, you won't be able to go on the class trip in June, which is why I'm going to cut you a deal." He folded his hands on his tan desk and leaned forward as though he was preparing to say a tremendous secret to me. "I won't suspend you if you agree to enter a time slot for Saturday music therapy. You are one of our brightest students here and you know how to make someone feel welcome."

"I'm not even a part of Treble Clefs anymore, and I have work on Saturday," He gave me this look which silently told me to stop complaining. So, I did.

"Okay. I'll figure it out. Thank you. I'll head over to the student center to sign up after lunch."

"Good. Martha will love to see you." Yeah, well, I hated having to see her. She was the head of the student center. All about extracurricular activities and scholarships. Not to mention the extremely cringe school assemblies. The school scandal said that Martha and Principle Wells had a little something going on and honestly? I couldn't blame her.

Principle Wells might have been older, but he looked just like Joe Manganiello. Even down to the body. School pi-day dunk tank left him shirtless. And wet.

"Would you rather be able to travel to the future or travel to the past?" Blair asked, the shell of the almond clicking against her metal braces as she popped a couple into her mouth. We had made it to lunch. On the menu were mashed potatoes and fried chicken which had zero seasoning. It was flavorless, soggy, fried chicken. Good thing it was Friday.

Those of us at the lunch table agreed to buy food on Fridays to congratulate us for getting through the school week. We all had a matching free period before lunch, and since we were seniors, they permitted us to leave school. It usually comprised either Kenji, Nova, or me leaving to pick up the food. All of us having to pay the designated pickup person back through digital or crumpled up dollar bills. "Can we change anything?"

"No. You are simply an observer."

"Then I'll travel to the past. The past already happened, so knowing I can't change anything wouldn't really bother me. But seeing the future, especially if it's something devastating, and knowing I can't change it, knowing our doom is inevitable is very terrifying." Right on cue, Kenji with the help of Dominic, put down the large pizza box onto the circular black table. "Ah, so you're sitting over here today?" I looked up at Dominic, putting on a cheeky grin.

"Oh, God, yes. Ella and Coen are pissing me the fuck off." He flopped onto the seat, an exasperated sigh leaving his mouth. "She's upset that he let her get punched, even though it was her big mouth that caused it. It's the same old, same old. They're just arguing about something they're not actually arguing about. So, they argue to not argue about it." Furrowing my brows, a questioning look fell onto my face. I'm sure his last sentence made no sense.

"I mean, they keep having these petty arguments over stupid stuff that escalates into them getting mad for days because they're not looking at the underlying issue as to why they're actually arguing. They just mask it by starting fights over little things."

"Ok, Dr. Diaz, wanna be my therapist?"  Wesley and Nova came over to the lunch table, holding hands and being their usual giggly selves. She reached forward for a slice of pizza, but Kenji slapped her hand away quickly and side-eyed them with an attitude.

"You guys have that sex afterglow thing going on right now. Did you wash your hands?" Wesley began trying to speak through slightly embarrassed laughter since Kenji said it pretty loud. "First off, woah! And second, we might be in a constant state of teenage hormonal horniness, but that does not mean we would have sex in school. That's gross."