Chapter Twenty-Three - Deadly Desire

Start from the beginning

The questions Cain has asked him were spinning around in my head.

How long ago had he been bitten? Was it recent? Had he just been bitten or had he been turned as well? Was that why he wasn't dead?

I rubbed my eyes, trying to relieve some of the pressure that was causing a headache.

As we pulled into the alleyway that dropped into the underground parking area, I sat up straight and sighed.

I was ready to be done living in this nightmare, but I was afraid of falling asleep. I was tired, but I couldn't close my eyes without the vision of my grandfather and the questions I had tormenting me.

Cain got out of the car and opened my car door for me.

I gave him a weak smile as I unbuckled and jumped out as well.

A sharp pain shot through my ankle as I landed on the concrete and I immediately let out a yelp in pain and fell to my knees.

Before I could hit the ground, however, Cain had me lifted back into the air with one hand around my torso.

"I'm fine," I assured him, despite the throbbing I felt in my foot.

Cain did nothing but roll his eyes.

"I'm serious," I told him. "I'm sick and tired of being the damsel in distress. Please just let me walk."

Once again, Cain said nothing. But, he lowered my feet down onto the ground cautiously and allowed me to catch my footing before he let go.

I instantly wished he hadn't let go, I began to mourn the loss of his strong arms around me as soon as he did.

Keeping one hand on my back, Cain helped me stagger and limp around the car.

I gritted my teeth, cursing at the pain in my ankle and foot that wouldn't go away.

My ankle better not be broken, I thought.

"What happened?" Daniel asked, eyeing my foot.

"Nothing," I said. "I'm fine."

At this point, both Jai and Dinesh had turned their attention to me as well.

"I can get a doctor here immediately," Dinesh offered.

I couldn't help the pleading look that crossed my face as I turned to Cain.

I couldn't bear the thought of someone else's focus on me that night. I wanted to disappear.

Cain must have seen the desperation in my eyes because he shook his head.

"It's been a long night," he said. "We can get someone here to look at it in the morning."

Dinesh nodded with slight hesitation, still eyeing my limp foot.

With Cain's help, I followed everyone inside as we escorted ourselves to the elevator.

I looked around and couldn't see my grandfather. Then again, I couldn't remember the SUV that he was in ever pulling into the parking garage behind us.