☠️ Chapter - 17 ☠️

Song: Last Hurrah - Bebe Rexha

Jaine

"What does the note say?" I asked, my gaze not wavering from the orange coloured note which was tucked in between the divorce papers.

Arthur's eyes swept over it, his blank expression changing to surprised and then he handed it to me.

"It's not like I can't have you if you don't divorce that bastard. Consider these papers your lovely husband's life. If you sign, he lives."
-V.M.

Dread settled in the pit of my stomach before he spoke "Did you notice the two letters under the note?"

Flabbergasted, I read the note once again and noticed the initials of the Stalker's name, 'V.M.'

The doorbell rang and Arthur went to see who it was. I slumped on the couch, reading the note over and over again.

There's no way I'm going to divorce my husband. But how do I save him?

"Mrs. Austen" I looked up to see officer Elroy standing in front of me "I'm sorry I couldn't come sooner. I was out of town due to another case."

We settled in the living room to discuss about the case. Detective Arthur filled Officer Elroy about everything that had happened and he looked to be in deep thought.

"He could be playing with us for all we know" officer Elroy spoke.

"This note has come right after you called him a coward, right?" Arthur asked.

"Yes" I said "I asked him to at least write his name on the notes. I didn't think he would actually listen and write the initials of his name."

"Try to think Jaine" Arthur spoke and I saw James raising his eyebrows out of the corner of my eyes "Have you ever met anyone in the past whose name starts with V or M?"

"Or perhaps anyone with this last name?" Officer Elroy added.

"No" I said, after taking more than fifteen minutes to think of every single person I know.

James sighed "Well, we kept an eye on Kevin for a week. He doesn't do anything suspicious."

I'm glad Kevin isn't the one. He has a kid for God's sake.

"What do we do now?" I asked.

"Don't worry, we will think of a plan soon" Arthur continued "For now, we should get the cameras installed so that he doesn't gets inside the house again. The team should be here any minute for installation."

The camera installation took almost five hours and I kept dozing off on the couch while James and Arthur took care of everything.

I jumped on the couch when my phone rang and saw that it was my brother calling.

"Hunter, why are you calling me?"

"Seems like I disturbed your nap. Wait, aren't you supposed to be in college?" He asked and I heard someone chuckling in the background.

"I just didn't go today" I lied.

"I need to have some serious talk with your husband about rules and regulations of slacking off" he mumbled.