I smiled brightly before standing up and properly taking his hand. "Hello, my name is Ava Makee-"

I exhale, feeling my breath fogged against the glass. My eyes squinted when I saw a familiar figure rushing up towards the front door. The bell rang, and I stood up. Step by step, I walk down the hallway and towards it. Grasping on the knob, I twist the door open. "Why are you here?"

Eli smiles, "I'm here for a sleepover."

"I'll go call Trevon," I said, leaving the front door open.

The night arrived much too slow, but it was still the same. I find it harder and harder to sleep at night. Perhaps, knowing the possible results of the future isn't as grand as everyone vocalized.

Pressing my back against the silhouette, I slide the drawer open and pull out the pack of cigarettes. Not many people know it, but I've been smoking since ninth grade. At the time, I thought it was cool.

Everyone was doing it.

The smokes have been in my lungs for over a decade. I decided I would quit; it's time. But, it felt soothing to have it beside me.

No longer would I place it between my lip and light up my death. However, I can't seem to let it go, not now at least. Putting it back into the drawer, I threw my head back and exhaled.

Understanding that I can't sleep, I began walking downstairs to grab a warm cup of milk. When I saw a bright light coming from the kitchen, I peered inside to see Eli raiding the fridge. The door creaked, and he looked up, with a wide foolish grin. "Can't sleep either?"

Steadily, I nodded, "Yeah. I was going to grab a cup of milk."

He smiles, "Go relax. I'll warm us up some milk."

"You're the guest. Allow me," I said, walking towards him.

His body cut me from moving any further. "I will warm up the milk." He turns my body around, "You go. Sit."

I roll my eyes, placing both paws in the air, "Woof."

He patted my head, "That's my baby."

I twist my neck, lifting a brow at him. He shrugged, "What? That's what I call my little puppy at home."

"You have a puppy?"

He nodded, "Yup. Got her not too long ago. The cutest baby in the world." He grinned, "You want to meet her?"

"A little bit."

"Then, you have to enter the wolf's cave. Are you willing to do that?"

I snickered, "Wolf? I don't think so," I said, brushing his bushy hair back. Eli gazes at me, a hypnotized look. I cleared my throat and stepped back, inching towards the living room.

Settling on the couch, I can hear the click-clanking of cups and the beeping of the microwave. I smile, feeling the warmth emerging once more as I wrap my arms around my legs.

Eli settled down the cup of warm milk and sat beside me on the couch. It was still raining outside, a long torturous event. I sip onto the edge before settling the porcelain on my knees. It wasn't too hot.

"You okay?" Eli asked.

I held my head against the palm of my hand, "Yeah."

"I heard from Trevon that you guys are starting therapy." I gave him a side glance through my stringing hair. He rubs his neck, "I know it's not my place to input any opinion." His fingers tapped against the cup, "And it may not matter to you, but...I think that's very strong of you."

"How is it strong? I'm-" I swallowed, looking back down at the carpet. "I'm in therapy, Eli. That means I'm pretty fucked up in the head."

"I think-" he hummed lowly, "we are all a bit fucked up in the head. That's what makes us special. Different from one another." He smiled, resting an arm against the edge.