Chapter 11

Ann awoke, warm sunlight kissing her cheeks as it dazzled in through her window and a smile crept across her face. 

She sat up, stretching both arms into the air, letting out a small groan then sighing happily. 

"Lessons, lessons, lessons..." Her mind thought, giddy and gleefully. She slid from the bed and strode lightly to her bathroom.

She took her time getting ready, showering longer than usual, taking extra time for her skin and hair, and being detailed with the minor bits of make up she decided last minute to put on.

Dressed in only a mint green fleece bathrobe, she approached her closet, fingering through the clothes as she decided what to wear. After a few finger pats to her chin, and some 'hmm's' to match, she settled on her dark riding boots, a dark forest green pair of leggings and a black top. 

Ann settled into her vanity, making sure to write down on a sticky note to purchase more riding gear, then her hand drifted to her jewelry box. She stopped, fearful, almost like if she opened the box, all hell would break loose. Her finger twitched, breaking her from her stupor, and she gently opened it, sifting through the necklaces, charm bracelets, earrings, and anklets that were contained in it. 

She finally found what she'd been looking for, a gold chain necklace with an emerald charm. Ann held it close to her heart, almost quivering; it'd been a gift from her mother. Before, she couldn't even look at it, but now, she wanted to wear it, wearing a part of her with her, almost as if her mother was seeing through the emerald itself, watching her daughters life like a movie from wherever she was now. 

Her hands delicately put it on and Ann stared lovingly at it in the reflection, then stood, slipping her hair into a high ponytail and slipping on her boots. 

Callum heard his daughters footsteps as they descended the stairs and entered the kitchen, and was unable to contain his smile, however, his daughter wouldn't see such a thing, as he was staring outside the kitchen window, taking a long and hopefully, an unsuspicious sip of his morning coffee. 

"Good morning daughter," he greeted her, now revealing his smile. His eyes drifted to the necklace she wore and he held back a choke, clearing his throat instead.

"Morning dad," She spoke and he side hugged her and the pair looked outside at the rolling hills that were their backyard for a moment, her father realizing he'd never felt happier than in this moment, and thus relished it. 

Ann pulled away and began rummaging through the fridge, pulling out supplies for lunch. 

"Heading to the stables today?" he asked, taking another sip of his coffee.

Ann nodded, "I have lessons." 

"Oh," her father teased, "Lessons huh?" She could tell just from his voice that his caterpillar eyebrows were wiggling at her, and she removed her face from the fridge, giving him just a single look.

His free hand feigned innocence "Alright alright, regular lessons!" he turned away chuckling softly and Ann smiled.

Their relationship was normalizing, and neither Ann nor her father could be any happier.

She gathered her meal for later in the day, stealing the slice of toast that accompanied her fathers' breakfast and headed towards the door.

He turned back, readying his fork and stomach, and Ann giggled softly as she heard her father yell "Hey!" while she headed out the front door. 

Eating as she biked to the stables, the wind blew past her gently, carrying strands of her hair with it, tickling her slightly as she rode to Holloway.