"Do whatever the hell you want, Harley," he said dismissively.

He walked away from me and I stood there for a few moments, feeling a bit stunned. I closed my eyes and sighed. A moment later I heard voices and footsteps so I popped my eyes open and looked behind me to see my coaches walking into the building.

I groaned and dragged my feet as I followed after Dakota's fading figure towards the locker room. Almost half of the guys were already getting dressed by the time I ditched my gear and hopped in the shower. I noticed Dakota was avoiding me at all costs, washing up in what seemed like record timing. He was already leaving the locker room just as I wrapped my towel around my waist.

***********

When I pulled into Dante's driveway, I saw him sitting on his front steps.

"What are you doing?" I asked, walking up to him.

Dante stood and said, "He's here."

"Drea's boyfriend?"

"Yeah. He's in the house," he grumbled.

I almost laughed at how cute he looked when he was irritated. "What are you doing out here, then?"

"I didn't want to meet him yet, so I bolted out of the patio door when he got here," he said. "I came around front to wait until you showed up."

"How long ago was that?"

"Only like five minutes or something. I swear, though, if he's a cocky little douche, I'm gonna kick his ass."

"Oh, so you mean if he's like you?"

He gave me a glare. "Shut up."

"Dante, you can't do that no matter how badly you might want to. Drea will hate you and your parents will probably not be very impressed."

He huffed and rolled his eyes. "Whatever, I just hate this. If he gets her pregnant, he's dead."

I smirked and shook my head. "You're not going to kill your future niece or nephew's father."

"Watch me."

"Dude stop," I said lightly. I gestured to the front door. "Should we go in?"

Instead of answering, Dante sighed and silently tugged me behind some of the tall bushes and trees around the side of his house. When we were out of view of any passerby or windows he pulled me close--an arm around the small of my back and a hand on the side of my face--and kissed me on the lips.

It started slow and then quickly morphed into something a little more hungry when he licked his way into my mouth, our tongues seemingly dancing to a rhythm that the nearby birds were singing along to. My knees almost felt weak from the force of the kiss, and I leaned into Dante to steady myself.

"Wow," I panted when we moved apart.

"Yeah," he said, a little breathless. He chuckled softly. "I missed that a lot."

I swallowed, my heart racing, and pushed my forehead down onto his shoulder. Dante ran his hands lightly over my back in a soothing manner. It was all so sweet and heartbreaking at the same time. It felt like a too-tight rubber band was around my chest, squeezing me painfully every time I breathed in Dante's freshly washed scent.

I turned my head and ghosted my lips up the side of his neck, enjoying this closeness with him that I hadn't experienced in what felt like a century at best.

Dante put a hand on my neck and pulled me back so he could look at me. His dark blue eyes burned into my lighter ones and he smiled softly. The band around my chest grew tighter. I licked my lips nervously.