That's all you'll receive.

If you do not like that,

Then take your coin and leave."

I scowled at him. Who was he to tell me no? Everything was for sell. I didn't need luck if I just bought all the vouchers. I didn't particularly believe in the item in the box or its mysterious power but others wanted it so I had to have it.

"I'll pay double," I said looking at the man with every ounce of pomp I could muster. "Two ha' pennies per ticket. That should be more than enough to accommodate," I eyed the man and his cart with disdain, "your meager self."

The man understood my words and expression emphatically. His voice became harsh as he belted his rhythmic words.

"I'll not have a brat

Spoil my fun for all.

You shouldn't act like that,

Not in front of my stall!

You'll not get a chance,

No, ticket for you!

To your ill-mannered glance,

I bid it adieu!"

The children laughed as the jester turned and slapped his hindquarters at me. I seethed in rage. How dare he! Does he have any clue who my family is!? My temper snapped as the masked man joined with the kids and their combined laughter echoed in my ears. I ran forward and kicked him in the shin as hard as I could. The jester, taken by surprise at my sudden display of violence stumbled backwards, rubbing his shin as he hissed through his teeth. I move towards the stall table and flipped it on its side. The tiny box struck the ground, spilling the contents, a dark, foul smelling powder, across the ground. The crowd gasped as I stood there, victorious in my efforts to halt their ridicule.

The colorful fool looked about his stall, now in chaos, his expression uncertain behind the mask of black and white. His tone, however, was chilling when he spoke and stifled all hushed whispers among the dumbstruck audience.

"That, little boy

Was a dumb thing to do.

What have we done,

To earn such scorn from you?

You asked to buy all,

And I told you of rules.

You act with such gall,

You think we all fools?

You must, yes, you must,

At least me, by attire,

But I warn you now boy,

You have sparked my ire. "

He removed his glove as the elderly Mortimer stepped forward to my side. The jester pointed his staff at my butler.

"Sleep now, old man!

You'll not come between,

This child and I.

You'll not intervene!"

A wisping cloud of green floated from the staff and into the butler's flared nostrils. His body went rigid as he fell backwards in a large puff of road dust.

The jester rounded on me, removing a glove and dropping on the ground. He pulled a long needle from some where behind him, approaching me like a predator. I stiffened, unable to move as something primordial welled up within my chest.

"Young one, well known,

O' young Endoril!"

My name. So, this idiot does know who I am. I went to speak out, if this man knew me, he obviously knew my family. As if guessing by my expression, he cut me off and continued.