The two stared down into the valley for a while, before Mabel looked up at Ford.

"I forgive you, Grunkle Ford. You know I do...right?"

Ford looked down at her in surprise, "What?" he asked.

"I know you don't want me to think you care about Dipper more than me. I know that you care about both of us equally. You don't have to be sorry for something you're not guilty of," she said.

"But...but I tried to take Dipper..."

"No, you didn't," interrupted Mabel.

"No, you didn't, Grunkle Ford. You acted in a moment of hope. You saw in Dipper what you saw in yourself all those years ago. You didn't do it to hurt me. I was broken already that day. I guess, for me...hearing Dipper wasn't gonna come home with me was the final straw. I never held anger towards you for that. And you shouldn't beat yourself over it anymore. It's in the past now," she said.

Ford looked at her, smiled as his eyes watered up and pulled her into an embrace.

"Oh Mabel," he said, "I don't deserve to have a niece as incredible as you. I guess in all my years of isolation, I never really realized how much family will care for you. I thought I lost you that day. Not just in person, but as a being able to call myself your Great Uncle. I guess...I guess..."

"You saw Dipper as someone you could mold into you?" she said.

"Yeah," replied Ford, "I guess in my pursuit of finding a successor, I tried too hard to make Dipper into me. And I don't want that. I don't want him in a lab working with chemicals and other dangerous things. He's still a kid like you. He deserves to enjoy that. He deserves to enjoy what's left of his childhood. And not with someone who knows nothing about having fun, but with you...his sister."

Mabel smiled, "Aww. Grunkle Ford, you're fun too. I never saw Dipper have as much fun playing Dungeons, Dungeons and More Dungeons with anyone as he did with you. Seeing him happy made me happy. Of course, I'd pick on him about it. But I'm his sister. We do that all the time," she said with a laugh.

Ford smiled back, "So, we good?" he asked.

"Of course, Grunkle Ford. I love you no matter what. Family always gets on each other's nerves. But it's the fact we can overcome and get along afterwards which makes our bond special. No one else would understand it." said Mabel as she looked up to him.

"I guess it took me a while to realize that. With Stanley especially. He cared about me for over thirty years. He wasted them trying to get me back. And I punched him in the face for it. I promise, I'll make it up to him. I owe him a lifetime," said Ford.

"I know you will," said Mabel, "You know Grunkle Ford, this whole summer...and I guess all that happened in the last two weeks especially, really was a lesson for you, me and Dipper. I learned that it's okay to be afraid to grow up and fear reality, but that you'll always have friends and family to help you along the way. Dipper learned not to grow up too fast, and to enjoy this time while he has it. I mean, we start high school in a year and our childhoods are gonna end soon. Like you said, we have to enjoy what we have left."

"And me?"

"You learned that family will always have your back, no matter what," said Mabel.

Ford smiled, "I guess I did. Thanks Mabel. It was nice to finally talk to you one on one. I really wish I could have done more of it with you."

"Don't worry Grunkle Ford. As long as you or Grunkle Stan don't tell mom and dad about...you know what, then we should be back next summer to bug you both," said Mabel.

Ford laughed, "I'll be sure to buy more coffee by the looks of things."

The two looked at the stars for a bit before driving back home. The next morning as Dipper and Stan walked into the living room, they came across one of the most heartwarming sights imaginable.

Mabel and Ford were asleep on the sofa with a book laying on the floor.

"Typical sixer," said Stan, "Staying up all night and crashing on the sofa while reading a nerdy book. Though, I don't know what Mabel's doing with him."

Dipper bent down and picked up the book.

"Actually Grunkle Stan," he said, "This is one of Mabel's books. Do you think...?"

The two looked at each other and then back at their sleeping twin siblings.

Stan smiled, "Well, it looks like the world's nerdiest old man finally won over your sister, kid."

Dipper put his hand over his mouth, "let's let them sleep, okay?"

The two agreed and headed into the kitchen. Before doing so, Dipper ran upstairs and got a blanket which he put over the two of them. As he headed for the kitchen, he felt happy that his sister and other great uncle had finally bonded. Though he assumed it was just over the book, he had no idea about their little adventure that night. Afterall, he didn't know how lovely last night was for a drive.

 Afterall, he didn't know how lovely last night was for a drive

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Art by Archervale on Tumblr

22 Short Stories from Gravity Fallsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें