FIVE | SICK DAYS

Cora chased her twin all throughout their house, dodging in-and-out between their relatives. Rhea ran into their shared bedroom hiding in her wardrobe. Cora stopped in the middle of the hallway, tilting her head, and listened for her sister. A smile spread across her face while she ran to her room and threw open the wardrobe doors. Rhea stepped out, arms crossed and an annoyed expression on her face. "You cheated. You weren't supposed to use your abilities." Rhea grumbled, plopping on her bed. "I did not cheat. I just used my resources." Cora laughed, poking at her sister's side. Rhea moved away from her, silver eyes moving towards the opposite wall. "Are you seriously mad?" Cora scoffed as the ten-year-old moved away from her. "Yeah. It wasn't a fair game." Rhea complained. Rhea wasn't usually a poor sport, but after years of her siblings not playing fair with her, she was tired of it. "It's not my fault that you're not a real werewolf." Cora slammed the door and stomped away from her twin. Rhea let her sister's words settle in. Her knees drew up to her chest, water droplets falling from her silver-colored eyes. Rhea leaned her back against the cold dark blue wall. Her lip trembled, loneliness and guilt consuming her. The little girl cried softly, fiddling with the ends of her braids. Rhea opened her closet, looking for an outfit for her brother's basketball game. She found a light blue off-the-shoulder dress and instantly put it on, pulling on small brown booties. Her eyes were still red-rimmed and teary. Her bedroom door opened revealing her uncle, Peter. "Hey, peanut, we are gonna leave in about twenty minutes. Are you riding with me or your mom and dad-" Peter stopped short when he realized that his niece was crying. He closed her door behind him, kneeling down in front of her. His hands planted on her tiny shoulders, sending her a small smile. "Rhea, what's wrong?" Peter asked, his eyes searching her silver ones. More tears spilled over her waterline as Peter gazed at her in concern. "Cor and I got in a fight." The little girl sniffled. "She told me that it wasn't her fault that I'm not a werewolf." Rhea bawled, clutching onto her uncle's dark blue shirt as he hugged her. "Hey, it doesn't matter that you aren't like the rest of us. It's what makes you special. And your mom, dad, sister's, brother, and I love you very much for it." Rhea's head rose from his chest, smiling up at him. His thumb swiped against her cheek, wiping away her stray tears. "Now, dry your eyes. There will be no more crying tonight. Only happy tears." Peter joked, kissing his favorite niece's cheek. Her smile dropped when she heard screams coming from downstairs. Peter took her hand and dragged her with him. They ran down the steps, attempting to reach the living room, but everything was in flames. Rhea stepped forward but the fire grew bigger, almost touching her. Peter scooped Rhea up carrying her to a different room. "I'm going to find Cora and your parents, okay? Stay put." Peter let go of the brunette's hand, rushing to the other side of the house. Rhea whimpered in terror at the crackling of the fire. A loud cracking noise alerted Rhea and she slowly looked up. 

A wooden beam came crashing down, pinning her down. She screamed at the sensation, her eyes wide in pain. The fire spread up her legs and hands as she tried to push the beam off. She cried and screamed, her screams fading in with the rest of her family. Her skin burned and seared around her legs. Her breaths were fast and uneven, her eyes wide in panic as she found that she couldn't control her breathing. Abruptly, the beam was lifted off of her and she was dragged out and into a strong pair of arms. She was carried out of the room and once they reached a hallway that was not as affected, she was set down. She was still bawling while Peter cupped her cheeks. He winced at the sight of the burns on her legs, shocked that she was able to stand. "Where does it hurt?"  Peter rushed out, highly worried for her. "Everywhere." Rhea sobbed, holding onto his hands, tightly. She started coughing violently as the smoke and fire traveled toward them. Peter took her hand as black veins coursed up his arm, taking some of her pain. Peter looked to their right seeing an unstable wall. "Rae," Peter called out to her by her common nickname. "I need you to hold on to me tightly,"  Peter commanded as Rhea did so. Peter held on to her tightly, pressing a soft kiss to her brown curls. "I love you, Rhea."  and with that Peter ran and crashed through the wall, taking most of the damage. The last thing she felt was severe intense pain and the sound of her own blood-curdling scream before she blacked out.