Story 5: The Lucky Twin

Beginne am Anfang

"Some lady's dog got loose and chased me for half a block. I hid in a tree until a squirrel chased me down. Can we just take the bus into town?" she asked.

Dipper nodded, "You know, that sounds very...unlucky," he said tauntingly.

"Shut up," said Mabel.

A few minutes later the bus arrived. Dipper payed the fare and boarded but as Mabel reached into her sweater pocket, there was no money in it.

"Uh, Dipper, I don't have any change. It was all in my other sweater," she said as she looked up to the now annoyed looking bus driver.

"Sounds very unfortunate if you ask me. Guess I'll have to pay for you," Dipper said mockingly again.

"Can you shut up and just pay? I'll pay you when we get back. Happy?!" yelled Mabel. The bus driver looked much more cross as Mabel smiled innocently and walked away.

Dipper was still determined to prove to Mabel that he was having a lucky day. As they walked to the end of the bus, Mabel sat down on a seat with gum on it.

"Ew!" she yelled, "Ugh, what a crummy day."

As Dipper looked around, he noticed an unusual looking crumpled piece of paper on the floor. He picked it up and was left shocked.

"OMG Mabel. I just found a fifty-dollar bill on the floor," he said as he showed Mabel the money. Her jaw dropped wide open.

"What? How...what..." she said in shock.

"Come on say it already! Say that you're wrong and that I really am having a lucky day!" he said.

"No way. This punch card here that I got in the mail has one hundred dollars in it. And when you see me able to buy more juice and ice cream than I can drink, you'll see that your so called "luck" is nothing more than a coincidence," she proclaimed.

Eventually the twins reached the store. Mabel tried to smile back to the bus driver but as soon as she got off, he slammed the doors shut and drove off much faster than normal.

"I think I made up with him," she said in a skeptical tone.

The twins walked into the new juice restaurant and stood in line. Mabel was eager to prove to Dipper that her luck was going to change so much that she ran up to the counter first.

"Hi there, I was wondering if this gift card you guys sent us in the mail is valid," she said, handing it to the cashier.

"Oh, I'm sorry dear. But these are not real cards," Sis the cashier.

"What?!" Mabel yelled.

"Yeah. These were just given out for promotion. I'm sorry," the cashier replied.

Mabel sighed as she walked away.

"Hey Mabel! Aren't you gonna order anything?" asked Dipper.

"No. And I don't even have any money. You can," she said.

"I'll get you an ice cream," he replied.

But as Dipper walked up to the counter, all the employees walked up to him.

"Congratulations sir! You're our one thousandth customer!" said the cashier.

Mabel turned her head around as her jaw dropped.

"Really?" replied Dipper.

"As a thank you from all of us at Jaiden's Juice and ice cream, you've won free ice cream for a whole month!" the cashier said as she handed Dipper a giant rocky road sundae with pistachios and gummy bears on top of it.

Later outside at a nearby park, Dipper was eating his huge sundae while Mabel had to settle for a chocolate cone.

"Oh, come on, don't feel bad Mabel. At least I got you an ice cream," he said as he gave her one of the gummy bears on his sundae.

"Okay fine!" yelled Mabel as she ate the gummy bear, "You win!"

"So, you admit it?" replied Dipper.

"If that makes you shut up, then fine! I admit you're having a lucky day! There, happy?" she said.

"Ha. I told you so!" said Dipper as he began to dance.

A defeated Mabel grabbed the sundae from him and walked over to an empty bench to sit and wait for Dipper to stop dancing.

"I told you! I was right. You were wrong," he sang.

Mabel sat there, trying to ignore him, when all of a sudden...

"Look out!" someone yelled.

Before anyone could react, a baseball came flying out of nowhere and hit Dipper right on the head.

"Dipper!" yelled Mabel as she ran over to him.

"Sorry," yelled a kid from across the field.

Dipper looked around as Mabel arrived.

"You okay bro?" she asked.

"I...I think. What happened?" he asked.

"You got hit with a baseball on your head while you were dancing," replied Mabel.

"Oh," he said, "Wait, why was I dancing?"

"Well, you were dancing because..."

At that moment it hit Mabel. Dipper had forgotten about her admitting defeat. She hesitated at first but then responded.

"...because, you won free ice cream for a month at that new restaurant because you were their thousandth customer," she replied.

"Oh really?" he asked.

"Yeah. See?" replied Mabel, handing him the sundae and the award he received.

At that moment, Mabel's phone rang. It was Stan.

"Hey uh, Mabel. So, I was thinking and, I'm feeling awfully tired today. I guess that late night poker game was not a good idea. So, I'm just gonna call the late night shift off for today. Have fun at the movies. Try not to drink too much. Oh wait, you're twelve...Ah! Stupid head...STOP LICKING MY SOCKS WADDLES. Ah! CALL YOU BACK!" he yelled before hanging up.

"Wow Mabel. You got pretty lucky. Grunkle Stan never gets sick when it's my turn to do the night shift," said Dipper.

"I guess I did. Well I mean you did too. You got free ice cream for a month," responded Mabel.

"Yeah. Hey, wanna get some more and have an ice cream eating race?" replied Dipper.

Mabel smiled, "you had me at ice cream," she said.

And so, Dipper and Mabel spent the afternoon eating a lot of free ice cream thanks to Dipper's good luck. As for Mabel, she was not only happy that she no longer needed to do the graveyard shift, but also because Dipper had completely forgotten about her admission to the fact, he was having a lucky day. And since Dipper didn't seem like he'd be asking her that anytime soon, she decided to just keep it a secret only she knew.

 And since Dipper didn't seem like he'd be asking her that anytime soon, she decided to just keep it a secret only she knew

Art By MF99K on Deviantart