Act 3: One foe closer - One friend farther

Start from the beginning

Awarthrie was wandering, If she took the right path towards the warm springs of Rivendell. Only hearing her feet tread, hearing the cracking twigs and leaves underfoot. The soft earth against her bare feet calmed her down. A smell of timidness hovered in the air, as she had no clue of what was ahead. She climbed down the narrow paths until she reached an opening. It was the most beautiful art, alive within raw energy, a song for the eyes—many stars filling the sky, and the moon hiding behind the only cloud available. Abruptly a male figure stood far away, gazing at the night sky and taking in all that nature could offer. His hands were resting against the railing, and only the outline of his body could be seen.

The image of the male's back onward carved into her subconscious. She could only see that he was an ellon. She went on, hoping to find the streams. The ellon had noticed her presence, but he never turned to acknowledge who it was. Soon a female figure appeared next to him. The cloud slowly uncovered the moon, and the place around them lit up.

"Le suilon, Prince Legolas!" [I greet you!] the female said as she stood next to the Ellon gazing at the stars. "I have been told you arrived this morning."

He remained in the same position, without altering his stand. "Mae l'ovannen, Lady Ríneth." [Well met.] his response was formal and short "News fly faster than I expected."

"Le maer?" [Are you well?] she asked him next as she turned and looked at him. Ríneth was a noble elleth. She was the sister of Haldir, marchwarden of Lothlórien. She was a Silvan elleth from Lothlórien. Yet, she traveled in Rivendell from time to time. As a highborn Elf, she desired a high position and wedding with a titled ellon. The prince of Mirkwood could provide her access to her desires. However, all the centuries they knew each other, he never seemed interested in her.

"Ma!" [Good!] he said. He spaced out, admitting that indeed he was doing fine. He felt relaxed in Rivendell, not the daily pressure of being a prince. Of course, where ever he went, 'Ladies' like Ríneth found their ways around him. At a younger age, he enjoyed it and even flirted around. These days he responded as an obligation of being the prince.

Meanwhile, Awarthrie reached a silent spring of warm water; the water was both profound and crystal-clear. Pine trees thickly surrounded it, and only ellith was allowed to bathe there. She stripped out from her clothes and placed them inside the velvet sack. The water calling was so alluring; she slowly stepped into the stream feeling the water touch against her fair skin. Although she feared someone could walk into her, she enjoyed her long time in the water. The Rivendell soap did more than wanders.

After she was done, she dried herself with the towel. She wore the white loose-fitting outer garment and wrapped it around her body, securing it with the silk belt. Her hair was still wet and loose, waving down her back. Her ghostly appearance made her look fair, close to an Elleth, just a bit shorter. She grabbed her towel and velvet sack and followed back the same route to reach Rivendell.

Step after step, she followed the old path until she paused in the opening. Now she could see clearly, as the moonlight fell under it. The ellon was still standing there, talking with the elleth. Her dark eyes met his, and she froze for a second. She recalled it was the Mirkwood Elf; she almost attacked. Her right hand reached for her weapons, only to remind her she was not carrying any. She cast a glare, and she only found a confusing one on his face. The elf was startled at the short woman in front of him. He reminded him of an elleth, a close friend of his. The bewilderment didn't last long, as he summoned into mind that it was the 'dwarf-girl' from before.

Awarthrie sought to find the chamber maiden before giving her the velvet sack. She found her in the lower parts of Rivendell, where the washing area was located. Camaeneth was surprised to see her there. Usually, she was the one who collected the sack from the guest's rooms. Never had a guest brought their clothes to her.