Insane Doesn't Even Begin to Cover It... Chapter 56

Chapter 56:

            The next session with Becca goes by much faster than the other two. My vocal chords are finally getting used to how it feels to be used again, which makes things a whole lot easier. Her presumptions from yesterday were right, we got done with the rest of the alphabet after breakfast, and decided to start on actual words. Nothing major, just things that could get me through a simple conversation.

            “Okay Senna, I’m just going to give you words that you would use when talking to someone, and you’re going to repeat them back to me until you can say them properly. Does that sound good to you?”

            I nod my head, smiling.

            “Okay, first. Say: Yes”

            “I open and close my mouth a few times, silently forming the word, and then start to try to say it. “Yeehh… ye… yess… Yes.” A huge smile lights up Becca’s face, but she quickly goes back to being stoic. Of course, they don’t want me to get off track by being excited.

            “Now say: No”

            “Nnn… nuuu.. nohh. N-n-no”

            The rest of the session goes on somewhat along those lines, and I learn a lot of new words. Worse like hello, okay, maybe, good, bad, and things like that. At the end of the session when Caden and I are leaving to go hang out before lunch, Becca tells me that I’ll need to meet with a speech therapist at least three times a week in order to learn more words once I’m out of the hospital. She also said that I’d probably need a private tutor to come to teach me considering I hadn’t been going to school all these years, and no one had bothered to continue my education.

            It all makes sense to me so I just say okay and walk out of the room with Caden close behind. We’re coming back after lunch to learn more words and build up on my conversation skills. The first thing I do when I get out of Becca’s office is break out in a huge smile and turn around to hug Caden.

            He hugs me back, laughing. “I knew you could do it, Senna. It isn’t as hard as it seems, is it?” He asks, and I look up at him.

            “No.” I say, a little roughly. He smiles a bit wider and hugs me tightly again.

            “I can’t wait until you get through with this treatment and get out of here. It’s so much better on the outside than it is in here.”

            From there, we go back to the sun room, which has been our hang out place lately. It’s getting close to summer now, the trees are getting their leaves back, and the sun is coming out and staying out more often. I go over to one of the chairs that is in the direct sunlight and curl up like a cat almost, soaking up the warmth.

            Caden takes a chair next to me, and suddenly reaches over and starts messing with my hair, running his fingers through it and petting it. For a second it actually feels like I’m a cat, and I can’t help but giggle a little.

            “What is it?” He asks, a little bewildered.

            I look at him and just shake my head, biting my lip to stop the giggles. I’m not used to being this happy, it’s a weird feeling for me. Although, I guess I’m going to have to get used to it if I’m getting out of this place once and for all… That has to be a happy event.

***

            After lunch, Caden and I head straight back to Becca’s office and assume our earlier positions, stoked to get started on my lessons again. These also go a bit easier than before, but I’m glad it’s only easy words, nothing hard.