Insane Doesn't Even Begin To Cover It... Chapter 55

Chapter 55:

Needless to say, the next few days contain a lot of hectic activity. Becca is rushing around trying to get everything settled for my last treatments, the ones for my voice. I’m not exactly one hundred percent sure what those treatments are, but I can only assume they’re helpful. A lot of the other doctors have been pitching into help too, holding meetings and giving me a lot of encouragement whenever they see me.

            It’s a major change, if I do say so myself. I’m sure that most of the probably just want to see me get out of here, after spending most of my life cooped up on that floor. Although a lot of them do seem to be sincere. It’s confusing but I don’t lead on to feeling uncomfortable. Becca told me that if I ever feel uncomfortable with what’s going on, they’ll stop immediately and let me cool down for as long as necessary, or as long as they see fit.

            That basically means that if I show that I’m not okay with furthering my treatment, they’ll put it on hold indefinitely. And I definitely do not want that to happen. I’ve worked so hard and I’ve had Caden pulling for me the whole time. If that were to go down, I’d not only be letting myself down, but also Caden. Honestly, he’s the only reason I’ve even come this far. He gave me the motivation to want to be helped.

            “Senna…?” A voice says, and I look up at Caden. I’m sitting in the corner of my room, not even really doing anything. I can tell that he thinks something is wrong so I smile as brightly as I can to reassure him that I’m fine. It doesn’t seem to help, though.

            “Senna, are you okay?” I nod my head quickly, but not too quickly. That would have seemed very suspicious, even to me. I really do think that I’m okay. I just needed a little time to myself, away from all of the bustling doctors. “Good, I’m glad. Becca says we can begin your treatment tomorrow morning, after breakfast. Aren’t you excited?” He asks, coming to sit down right beside me, brushing up against my side.

            I scribble my response down on my notebook and show him.

            ‘Yeah I’m excited. Can’t wait.

            He smiles immediately and wraps an arm around me, tucking me even closer to his side. “I’m really proud of you Senna, so proud.”

            I can’t stop the blush that spreads across my face, but I don’t try to hide it. It would be pointless. So instead of trying to move away, I just lay my head on his shoulder and allow him to keep his arms around me. There are still slight unsettling feelings that move through me any time his skin rubs against mine, but those are slowly fading. And I’m sure that by the time I’m actually released, they’ll be gone for good. I have to admit that I have made a lot of progress, a lot more than I imagined.

***

            Later that night, after dinner, Caden and I go back up to my room and settle in for the night. At first, before the lights go out, we just sit together on my bed and he talks to me about what Becca has been telling him about what they could try. I don’t exactly pay a lot of attention, almost wanting it to be a surprise. However, from what I could glean from it when I was listening, the schedule is packed. From speaking exercises in the morning, to tests later on in the day, things like that.

            And from Becca’s estimates, I should be able to leave in the next week or two, maybe sooner, it just depends on how I react to whatever she puts me through. That kind of surprises me but I don’t dwell on it too much, I don’t want to expect anything that might not happen.

            Once the lights go off in my room, Caden carefully gets off my bed and moves over to his, settling down for the night. I can hear him rustling around for a little, trying to get comfortable. For some reason the sound calms me down and I just listen as he gradually quiets down, and then to the sound of his breathing as he sleeps. That sound slowly drags me down into dreamland with him.