Chapter Five: See You There

"Wha- Wait, what?" Jake just about yelled at his friend, baffled and flabbergasted. Gobsmacked, if one would.

Zack was pushed as far back into the couch as he could, smiling as he held up his arms defensively, "Ay, ay! Sorry, it completely slipped my mind to mention it to you! I told you that I had something important to tell you later today but then you started telling me about your moment with Michael at the Roundtable that I completely forgot to tell you about it."

"You got distracted from telling me about you talking with Michael and him understanding what you meant by this town not being inclusive and wanting to get to know me, and handing you his number to give to me... by me talking about him...?" Jake asked, and Zack shrugged, leaning back further, though he had no fear that he would be hit. He just shrunk as he often did whenever he got into a confrontation.

Jake sighed loosely, and fell backwards onto the couch, rubbing his temple as he took in the information, "You... Okay, well, that's... Jesus." Jake commented, though he was not angry in the least. Nor was he truly ecstatic. He was apprehensively happy about what had happened would be the best way to describe it.

"Come on, Mint!" Zack told him, using his last name to catch his attention, and Jake flinched a little, "This is your chance! That chance you said yesterday that you'd never get and it was never going to happen! Andddddd.... Yeah, I'm so sorry for not mentioning it. I've been absent minded lately, heh." He shamefully scratched the back of his head.

Jake's face scrunched up as he attempted to find a way to convey what he was feeling. All that came out was a conglomerate of happy screeches, nervous chirps, and other odd sounds that were hard to describe even with numerous adjectives. He was, all together, relatively messed with.

"Is that a good or bad scrunch?" Zack asked, and Jake glanced at him, glanced at his own hands, and then glanced back at Zack, before shrugging gently. Zack giggled, leaning back with a grin, "I will assume unknowing is a good thing. It's exciting, no? I tried to give him my best impression of you. I think he noticed." Zack frowned after saying that last thing, glancing to the side before returning to face his friend with a smile and a shrug.

Jake was, pretty much, at a loss for words. Like he was just run over by a feral purple flaming skeleton horse. If it weren't for the shock of the situation he'd be in awe that something like that happened at all.

"I... I'm trying to process, is what that scrunch means. Dear God." Jake told him, "You just told me that my crush since high school gave you his number to give to me. Like, I know not for anything non-platonic, more so just meeting up, but you can't just throw that on me without any warning!"

Zack raised his hands, shrinking into himself as he waved them defensively, "Stillll, it's a great thing! You're right though, that was probably a bit surprising." Zack told him, and Jake gave him an expression that just about told him, "Duh".

Jake groaned as he leaned back, peering up at his ceiling with another, more pronounced deep guttural groan. Jake closed his eyes and sighed, pressing his phone against his fluffy chest, "I guess that means I'm going to have to help out, huh?" Jake asked him, and the other foxes grin couldn't have gotten wider if he tried.

"See, there you go! That also means you better help out at the library too, right? Otherwise Debrah is going to have my head. And I mean that literally, she's a weapon's collector." Zack told him, a toothy grin spreading across his plump face. Jake simply sighed, placing his head in his own hands with a deep moan of frustration.

"I know nothing about football. Nothing." Jake responded, a frown appearing on his face. Zack waved him off, leaning against his friend and placing his paws up against the arms of the couch.