2

Ch2

"I don't know what's wrong with our friends," Claire complained to Miller as she settled into the plush passenger seat of their Range Rover. "All the opportunity and money in the world and they seem so insistent on ruining their lives."

Miller shrugged as he pulled out of the parking lot and turned onto Chick Hearn Court. "You know what they say; money doesn't buy happiness."

"I know." Claire let out a sigh. She adjusted the air conditioning and a gust of wind moved strands of hair around her face. "It's just seems like they try to find trouble. I don't understand why they just can't live normal lives."

"Normal?" Miller snorted. "You call this normal? You do realize that we're part of a very small percentage of people who get to live this way, right?" he asked with raised brows. "This life is anything but normal."

Claire rolled her eyes. "You know what I mean, Miller." She turned her head away from him and looked out the tinted window at the passing traffic. She had lived in California for almost twelve years and still couldn't get used to the busy streets. Driving was something she did not prefer doing, especially in town. L.A. was always so crowded with vehicles and people walking this way and that. She felt overwhelmed and dizzy every time she sat behind the wheel of her BMW, so it remained parked away in the garage, rarely getting used. Between Miller and her personal assistant Anna, Claire almost never needed to drive on her own--a luxury she appreciated.

"Look, you know I love how much you care about our friends, Claire, but they're adults. They get to live their lives however they choose to. You can't mother them forever," Miller explained. "They're going to start resenting you."

Claire leaned back in her seat and sighed. She knew he was right; she just didn't want to admit it. Mothering their friends came second nature to her, almost like breathing. She couldn't not do it.

Staring out the passenger window, Claire watched as downtown L.A. passed by. Teenage runaways and prostitutes littered the streets as the homeless foraged through garbage cans outside of seedy, rundown diners. California could feel so jaded, and sometimes she longed for the simple life of her hometown. Her family had returned to Colorado as soon as Claire had turned eighteen, promising never to return. As much as they loved their oldest child, she was on her own. Miller and their friends were her family now, and Claire was fiercely protective of them.

"So, what did you think of the ceremony?" she asked, attempting to change the subject. "Was my speech okay?"

"Your acceptance speech was beautiful and gracious--just like you." Miller over and rubbed her thigh affectionately.

"I only hope I didn't forget anyone . . ."

"I'm pretty sure you covered every person you've known since birth! Did you notice they had to cut you off to go to a commercial break?" He shook his head and laughed. "I hate live shows, they're so unpredictable."

Claire blushed and pushed his shoulder playfully. "Hey, I had a lot of people to acknowledge!"

He turned and gave her an amused smile. "I just don't think you needed to include your preschool teacher!"

"Miller!" Claire laughed. "Miss Sass was the first person who gave me a shot in this business, I owe her a debt of gratitude. Preschool was where my dream to become an actress was first born."

"You played Dorothy in a four-year-old's production of The Wizard of Oz," he retorted sarcastically.

"Yes, well Miss Sass gave me that part in the play when half of the girls in my class tried out. I think she deserves a 'thank you'."