CHAPTER ELEVEN

The new heartbeat inside of her was beating loudly. Lia hated it.

Too loudly.

Lia didn't know what it was. The otherworldly heartbeat of power, chaotic and too powerful and deadly—

She took a shuddering intake of breath, steadying herself. She normally couldn't handle the awful dizzying feeling, but right now she forced herself to get through it. Her head has been throbbing for weeks on end now. And... was she sick? What kind of illness was plaguing her? Why wouldn't it stop, no matter the flower oils she sniffed or the homemade remedies she cooked up?

Lia groaned again, kneading the dough harder. She beat it with all her might, making her shoulders ache with the force she threw in.

"Lia?" Papa called from the front of the bakery. She looked at him.

"Yes, Pa?" she called back. She was pounding the dough now.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes, Pa!" Ah, her shoulders were killing her. And that was good. She was focusing on that pain, distracting her.

This new, insistent... thing... was gnawing at her from the inside and out. She was eating more food now. She was tired a lot more frequently, and she took often naps. She couldn't help her Papa as efficiently as she normally would.

And she couldn't even go outside to roam the flower fields! The weather of Lieru was perfect in this time after winter. The flowers would bloom and the new animals would be born as spring approached. But instead of roaming and exploring, she was holed up inside for three weeks, with no strength to move or do anything productive.

Papa came into the back room. They owned a bakery in the wealthier parts of the Capital of Lieru, and they had the occasional help. It was a modest business, and sometimes they caught glimpses of royalty wandering in and out of their shop for bread. But today was an unhurried, lazy day where they have sold just enough.

Nothing to worry about.

"I'm fine, Pa," she said. Lia tried to give him the best smile she could. "Really."

He frowned at her. "You do not look alright."

"I am fine, though," she said. Urged him to believe her. "I just feel... sickly. That is all. It might be something in the seasons."

That wasn't true, and she knew it, but little lies from time to time couldn't hurt, right?

Papa's eyes flickered to her stomach, and she flushed bright red. "Maybe..."

"No!" she gasped, hands crossing over herself protectively. "Papa!"

He held his hands up in defence, laughing easily. "I was just asking, Lia!" He shook his head. "You're sure you aren't carrying a child...?"

"Absolutely positive."

"Have you been seeing anyone?"

"No, Papa," Lia sighed. She kissed him on the cheek. "I haven't."

"Really? What about... wusshername..."

"Exactly, Papa. And that was ages ago."

"No boys?"

"Absolutely none."

"Women?"

"Not anymore."

Papa sighed. He leaned on the table she was working on, resting his weight. "You worry me sometimes, you know."

She raised her eyebrows. She was now rolling the dough around, readying it to be moulded into a very pretty shape. "How so?"

"You don't have friends," he pointed out. Lia rolled her eyes, but he spread his hands and raised his eyebrows. "The only people you're around are me and your Aunt."

He shifted, and Lia glanced quickly to his bad leg. It's been steady so far, and the new salve she's made helped a lot with the stiffness. But Lieru didn't have enough herbs, didn't have the right plants for his treatment. Even the expensive apothecary near the palace didn't supply any.

But she knew that. She knew that the only place in the world with enough treatment for her Papa was...

She shook her head.

"I'm fine, Papa. I've never really liked people, anyway," she said. She was shaping the dough, her fingers working absentmindedly.

"But, Lia," he sighed. "I'm old. Certainly, you'll need..."

She stopped working to stare at him.

"You'll need... companions," he said softly. Papa offered her a smile to try and ease the blow. "I don't have that much time left, Mahal."

He only called her Mahal when he was being solemn.

She clenched her jaw. "Stop being silly, Papa."
"I'm not being silly," he said. He groaned to stand up rightly when the front bell chimed.

"It's the truth." He looked at her with stern eyes. "You know that. You know the truth, Lia."

She turned away.

Quiet.

He sighed heavily and squeezed her shoulder as he hobbled back to the front of the shop to attend to the customer. "Let's close early today," he said.

"Yes," she said. "Not a busy day." But all Lia really wanted to do was beat the bread and bake and ice the cakes so her headache might leave her alone.

"Oh, for heaven's sake, leave that." He nodded to the dough she was shaping. He slapped her wrist gently. "Let's go home early, yes? We can even eat some of those awful sweets you like."

"It's chocolate, Pa. Not awful."

"Awfully expensive." He shook his head and laughed.

She watched Papa hobble his way and support himself on his cane to entertain the customer. She always admired the strength of her Papa.

Lia sighed heavily. She stopped working on the dough, covering it and sheltering it for tomorrow. She leaned on the table and shut her eyes.

A companion.

Papa was being silly. It was getting late after all. The sun had just set, business was slow today, and he had too much free time. He was babbling nonsense the way he did when he was sad. Of course he still had time.

Lia sighed again, heavier, as she felt the upcoming signs of that awful, terrible migraine the heartbeat brought with it. It always started at these times when the sun just set. It was awfully insistent, determined to drive her insane. She groaned and let her hair fall loose from its bun. She rolled her shoulders, eased the tension from her muscles.

Ah, hell.

Another day.

And tomorrow will come soon.

She was Mahalia Kallis of Lieru, after all. She's seen hardships. She faced them with bravery and a tough face, fists ready to swing and back read to break. She helped her father bring themselves back from nothing. Even when her father's leg began to falter, she managed to climb her way, hauling him with her, to this comfortable, happy life with the bakery in the capital. They had a roof above their head, money saved, food on the table, and their own beds. It was a life earned well.

Another day done.

And another day to get by.

- -

THEEEERE SHE IS!!!!!! IT'S MAHALIA KALLIS OF LIERU!!!!!!! HERE SHE IS, GAYS!!!!!!!! i've spiced up the beginning enough, and now i present to you the OTHER LEAD OF THE STORY UGHHHHH I BROKE MY BACK TO GET US HERE HAHAHAHA!!

tell me! what do u think of Lia, with this short 1k chapter? cute? soft? tough? a bitch? tell me!! tell me!!!

i was so excited to upload this hahahaha. i really wanna know what u guys think of her:>

leave a vote and some feedback, loves!!

- yannah:>