The Spell

"Merlin...what are we going to do? You cannot protect Arthur w-without your magic..."

"Then I'll get my magic back. There has to be a way."

I muttered a quick healing spell, hoping that no one could catch me. The knight gasped finally being able to breathe. 

"Everything is going to be alright."

The knight nodded and I cleaned his now fading wound with some water.

"Aveline! I need your help!"

I ran over to Gaius "What is it?"

"I need you to heal this man's wounds-with magic."

"But Gaius-"

"I know you are scared, but I cannot heal him. If there is any chance of saving these men-it is you."

I took a deep breathe. He was right. Most of these men are dying, and the only thing that will stop them from meeting there death is me.

I raised my hands over the man. There was too much blood.

"Tergeo. Vulnera Sanetur. Vulnera Sanetur."

I smiled, relief flooding my emotions. The spells had worked. 

"You have magic?" 

I turned around, Guinevere was standing there with a hand full of bloody bandages. 

"I...I was born with it m'lady."

She gave me a small smile "Then better put it to use."

She took my hand and lead me to a badly wounded soldier. 

"What happened to him?"

"War. But what I am must worried about our his ribs-he broke them."

I searched my mind, I need a spell so heal bones....

"Brackium Emendo. Brackium Emendo. Brackium Emendo."

The soldier gasped for air.

Gwen hugged me, "You did it!"

I smiled. I did it. I healed this man, openly. And Guinevere was not angry at me-she had accepted m powers. Maybe there was hope for magic, yet.

I ran out of the tent, pushing away people to get a better view. That was him. My Merlin. He had gotten his magic back, and was going to save Arthur after all! He was going to save us! We will win.

"We must keep faith Guinevere, that they will return."

"Answer me one thing."

"Yes m'lady?"

"It was Merlin, was it not?"

I looked away. Could I tell her? It was his secret not mine, I cannot betray him.

"Please tell me." she said barely above a whisper

I felt my heart drop. She was suffering just as I was.

"Yes. It was Merlin."

Guinevere smiled "A-at least I know he is in good company."

"They will make it, I know they will."

"M'lady are you sure about this?"

"Do not tell anyone where I am going."

"Yes you highness."

"Good."

"Merlin!"

He turned to me and ran towards me. I jumped into his arms, and we embraced each other.

"Aveline, what are you doing here?"

"I came to help you, I knew I could catch up...Arthur is wounded so it would take you longer to travel..."

Merlin nodded  "We cannot move faster-I cannot let him...it will kill him."

"How is he?"

Tears were building up in his eyes "He....he hates me."

"No, he does not."

He shook his head "He thinks I have betrayed him, Aveline. I told him. I told him I have magic."

My heart sank "Oh Merlin, he is just hurt. He does not understand, but he will."

"I need to save him, but I am afraid he won't make it." tears now fell freely down his cheeks

I pulled him into a tight hug "He will Merlin. He will be fine, and he will finally complete his destiny. We will finally live in a world where magic belongs."

"Hi big guy." I said brushing away the need to cry

"A-aveline?" Arthur said looking up

"How do you feel?"

"I-it hurts." he winced.

"Merlin told me you are badly wounded. He went to go get some water."

Suddenly Arthur's eyes widened, he took my hand "Merlin! Aveline, Merlin he has magic!"

I chuckled lightly "Yes I know."

Arthur pulled away, his eyes slowly closing.

"You knew." his voice slightly cracking

"From the moment I saw him, I could feel it."

"But you kept it a secret."

"I had to Arthur. Merlin and I, are part of a world that you feared. We could not tell you the truth if we wished to protect you. Merlin has risked his life endlessly to save you, to keep you safe."

Arthur's eyes opened, he turned to me "What do you mean we?"

I picked up a small flower that had only blossomed half way. I did a quick ageing spell, and watched with Arthur as it blossomed into a beautiful blue flower.

Arthur looked away "It seems that everyone I care about lies to me."

Merlin cried as he held Arthur. He was dying.

"Merlin, we can still save him. I-I know a spell. A sleeping spell. It allows the person under the enchantment to rest, and heal. They cannot die and will awaken once they have been returned to their former glory."

It's been years since that day, when Arthur nearly died. To our pleasure the spell worked, and Arthur was put under a deep sleep, from which he would awaken one day. My father came back, the war in our kingdom was over. He and my brother stood victorious. In the beginning father was shocked that I had fallen in love with a servant boy, and even more so when he discovered Merlin and I both possessed magic. But after a few years, Merlin and I were given his blessing and married. Guinevere ruled Camelot with a just and fair hand, and even though magic was never truly accepted by all, it was better than before. When time came for Guinevere to die, I placed the same spell upon her, so that she may some day awaken with her beloved husband. I did this too his loyal knights as well (not all of the knights). As the years passed Merlin and I watched as the world we knew ended, as did our friends and family. Still, we wait for Arthur's return...it is Merlin's destiny to help Arthur, and mine to help Merlin. So...we wait. Sometimes I catch Merlin staring off into nothingness, thinking about what we have lost. On those nights I hold him close, and pray that his aching hear will one day know peace.

Merlin's POV

I lay restless on our bed, unable to drift off into sleep. It has been so long, and yet Arthur has not returned. I wonder...if he will ever return. Next to me, suddenly Aveline awakens gasping for air.

"M-merlin!"

I hold her, trying to calm her "It was just a dream, Aveline."

She shakes her head furiously "N-no! It was the spell! Merlin, Merlin it's Arthur! He-and the knights and Guinevere! T-they have awoken."