Finally, because they'd sat in silence for three or four minutes, glancing and gazing at each other, Frank spoke up. "I know Kill the DJ."

"Oh, I love that one." 

Psyching himself up, Frank quietly tapped his foot, trying to remember the chords. As he was about to strum, a smirk overtook his lips and he looked up at Gerard through his lashes. "Let's make a deal."

"A-alright?"

"If I play, you sing."

"What? No. I can't sing."

Frank scoffed. "Yes you bloody well can. I've heard you, remember? You have a lovely voice."

Fiddling with his fingernails, Gerard looked down, a little embarrassed and ashamed -because he really thought he couldn't. "I can't, I'm not that good."

"Come on," Frank refrained from rolling his eyes. "Please, believe me. You can sing. Plus, no one else is here. Only I can hear you. I won't judge, I promise."

"Really?" Gerard smiled sheepishly. 

"Really." He assured, beginning to strum the chords. 

-

Frank had been smiling the whole way through, listening intently to Gerard's voice -which was lower than he'd thought as Gerard's voice was very slightly high and nasally. He occasionally stole a glance at him, however Gerard kept his eyes closed and his head tilted downwards, his hair a shield that had slipped from being tucked behind his ears. 

"You were brilliant." Frank commented, causing his teacher to blush as he put his guitar away. "Up for another song on Monday?" He half joked.

"God, no." Gerard let out a short laugh, shaking his head.

"Why not? Wasn't it fun?" 

Lips parted slightly, he averted his eyes, nodding. "It was, it was, I-I just-"

"It's okay." Frank waved a hand dismissively.

Tidying his own things away, Gerard peered up at the clock. It was ten past four. At least they hadn't stayed in till late like they usually did. After all, it was Friday, they deserved to go home.

A comfortable silence washed over them, highlighting the noise of the rain on the roof.

Frank's shoulders sagged and he stuffed his hands in the pockets of his hoodie. "It's raining." He groaned, rolling his eyes. "I'm gonna have to walk home in this."

Gerard raked his fingers through his hair, then did up the buttons of his waistcoat before slipping his denim jacket on and pulling down the rolled up sleeves. An idea popped in to his head and he pondered it before pulling his bottom lip between his teeth. "I can give you a lift in my car, if you want?"

Frank turned to Gerard, eyebrows raised in disbelief and gratitude. "You sure?"

"Of course."

-

They glared upon the wet concrete and the grey sky pouring above them. Frank held his hand out while the rest of him was safe under the roof. His palm was soaked almost instantly and he shook it off, catching Gerard's face with droplets, which didn't seem appreciated. 

"That sucks." Frank scowled, adjusting the straps on his bag.

"Get ready to run." Gerard said, a sly smirk capturing his lips, earning a confused expression in response.

"What?"

"My car's over there." He pointed to the other side of the car park. "Come on." Without an explanation, Gerard grabbed Frank's hand, dragging him along behind him as he ran through the rain.

Their bags slowly slid from their shoulders to annoyingly settle at the crooks of their elbows. Frank's guitar wasn't easy to keep off the floor as it was pretty hard juggling it while racing through God's tears -as he liked to call it. Despite that, he grinned widely, laughing at their behaviour -as did Gerard.

When they made it, Gerard hastily unlocked the car, took Frank's guitar and put it in the boot, then slumped in to the driver's seat as Frank collapsed in to the passenger's side.

"I am so unfit." He panted, slicking back his damp hair.

"Me too." Gerard chuckled, revving up the engine and pulling out of the car park.

-

"This is it." Frank pointed towards the house on the end of the street.

The weather had calmed down, though it was still unpleasant to stand under.

"I'll get your guitar." Gerard offered, going to get out of the car.

"No, it's okay." Frank objected, getting out himself and fetching it as Gerard glanced at him through the windows. A moment later, Frank appeared at the passenger's side window, smiling kindly. "Thanks, Gee."

At the nickname, a wide smile spread over Gerard's face too and his eyes crinkled at the corners. "No problem."

"Hey," Frank raised his eyebrows, "You know where I live now. No stalking me."

"I can't promise that." Gerard joked, putting his hands up in surrender. "You never know, I might be that creepy something outside your window."

Eyes widening, he stepped back on to the curb. "I should hope so." He called back as he began to walk to his door.

[Published May 2019]
[Last edited 28 October 2019]