Potential

Back at the castle, things were hectic all day. Lance had been gone for a day, the team trying their best to locate him. Allura has been stressed and frazzled, apprehensive about what the team would do if the Galra attacked; this was also on the other's minds as well. The Blue Lion hasn't moved, meaning either Lance isn't in danger or he hasn't connected with his Lion the way Shiro has. Pidge recently informed Allura of a place they should try, a coordinate that seemed reliable yet sudden.
"How did you figure out the exact location? I haven't seen you around your usual tech." Allura questioned as she stared at the young girl with curious eyes.
"I . . . um . . . ." Pidge sighed as she tried to call herself before answering.
"Listen, I will tell you how I got this information, but first you've gotta trust me. If I tell you now, I know there will be problems. So trust in me that I have this handled, I just need you to guide us." Pidge said as she regained her usual collected demeanor.
Allura was reluctant since the coordinates were so obscure and sudden, but this was Pidge, Allura figured that she could trust her judgment. As Allura fired up the castle, she typed in the coordinates and wormholed directly to it. The princess was in shock to see the coordinates were to a Galran prison. She stared at her monitor as various information was displayed concerning the huge floating mass of cages and towers.
"Pidge, this prison is really old. You really believe Lance could be there?" Allura asked with worry in her voice.
Pidge nodded though and looked at the princess.
"There's a chance. Besides, if who I think is there . . . Lance could very well be one of the prisoners as well."
Allura put her hands on Pidge's shoulders, looking at her with a serious stare.
"Pidge, explain what you are talking about and how you found it." Allura said as she kept contact with Pidge.
The girl fixed her glasses before letting out a breath, knowing that she'd have a lot of explaining to do.
"This prison . . . I believe it not only might contain Lance but my dad and brother as well . . . ."
. . .
Once explaining the "guest" Pidge had acquired, the team was quick to act from there. The last thing the Paladins wanted was more Galran to be held captive. Shiro let him loose and walked him out of the castle to follow Allura, Pidge and Hunk. As Shiro approached, he heard that Pidge and Allura were still bickering.
"I know, okay! I messed up. When we landed on that crumbling planet, I landed when Lance did. I saved him and once I did I started to ask questions. Once he told me he worked in a Galra prison, I knew it was my best chance!" Pidge said with a raised voice as she pleaded her case.
"Yet, you kept him captive and after assuming he may work where your family is located. How do you think he is going to help you? Maybe if you would have asked for help then--"
Allura was cut off by a chuckle from Pidge.
"This sounds oddly familiar. I remember saying these same things when you pushed to capture one of Zarkon's elites!" Pidge spat at Allura who remained silent and soon formed a very remorseful look.
Shiro broke up the fight, Riku behind him unrestrained and very apprehensive it seemed.
"Stop it, both of you. Riku is still willing to direct us. He doesn't want to be in the war, nor help us find Lance. He made a deal with Pidge that if he helps her, she would help free his planet from the control of Zarkon. He also wants to help Pidge because he knows what it is like to lose family." Shiro spoke before looking back at Riku who nodded.
"My planet is in debt with Zarkon. All of us, including my family and me, owe him a lot of resources. I became a soldier just so my family wouldn't have to suffer, they seemed to accept my service as payment. Unfortunately, my people on the planet though are still in debt." Riku explained before sighing with melancholy and finishing.
"A while ago, I found my family after a long time of searching. We were separated and eventually I found them, they mean everything to me. Even if I was captured trying to do this, I want to help reunite you and your family" He said as he gave Pidge a half-smile which she returned.
"Pidge, don't forget, you promised you would help me once I helped you," Riku said as he reminded her of their deal.
"I know. I will help you save your planet. It will not be involved in the war at all." Pidge ensured which caused Riku to become relieved.
Riku then continued as he pointed towards the massive conjunction of buildings and watchtowers that are laid ahead.
"This prison is the largest in the Galran community. People are being held either for treason or interrogation until further notice. If your brother was really saved from the Galra tournaments before, I bet that they kept him here along with your father until they fully gathered all they can from his scientist's mind." Riku spoke as the team walked behind him, letting him take the lead since he knew the place.
"That seems likely . . . but now, how do we get to the holding cells? There are watchtowers all over the place." Pidge asked which caused Riku to stop walking and turn around.
"Right. Everyone, put these on." Said Riku who then handcuffed each of the Paladins, not giving them much of a chance to answer.
"Now, when they see us they will think I've gathered 4 prisoners. I'll lead you straight to the holding cells and then I'm out of here." Riku said while giving the team the basic layout of the plan he had in mind.
The team agreed and followed Riku, watching him type in a code for the gate and waiting for it to open. Once it did, the lights beamed down on them from above which caused all of the team to become very apprehensive. Yet, once Riku gave a hand motion the light seemed to go away which made the team more at ease. They were led to the door of a huge building, Riku opening it for them and walking inside with the team in tow. Allura and the others saw up ahead where the cells were located, just beyond another gate. No guards could be seen, most of them presumably at the towers or patrolling other areas. Riku informed them that the guards usually had to check the whole building in case the prisoners attempted to escape. Once the gate was opened and the team was let in, Riku left it open and nodded towards the others. The Galran then uncuffed the group and tossed the cuffs aside.
"This is where I head off. Good luck. Remember, the guards are going to be coming up here soon." Riku said before tossing a key to Shiro which he caught.
"I'm going to be quitting anyway. Use this to open the cells. Don't get caught or we'll both get in trouble."
Shiro nodded and the team bid Riku a farewell, though Pidge went forward and bowed her head.
"I'm sorry for all I did. But thank you, for helping us." She spoke softly.
Riku accepted her apology and gave her a half-smile, soon waving at the team as he walked off and out of the building.
The team wasted no time, they started to search the various cells for the people they were searching for. Shiro was looking in each cell as was the rest of the group; but someone, in particular, caught his eye. He walked up to the cell and glanced in between the bars at the male with brown hair and torn clothes. He looked back at Shiro with disparate and despondent eyes. The reason he stood out to Shiro was because he was the only human he saw thus far, everyone else was of another race. This also led Shiro to surmise that Pidge's family may, in fact, be in here if other humans are being held.
"Please . . . please, sir . . . help me." Mumbled the male prisoner, getting close to the bars and reaching out to hold onto Shiro's robotic arm.
Not even a moment later, Shiro nodded and gently pulled his arm away so he could cut the bars. In a quick swing, Shiro chopped at the bars and freed the human who subsequently jumped into his arms while saying many thankful words.
"S-sir, how can I repay you!?" Said the man who soon pulled away from Shiro long enough to wipe his tears.
Shiro smiled and couldn't help but blush slightly at how cute the man was, in looks and personality.
"Do you by any chance know if Matt Holt and Samuel Holt are in this prison?" Shiro asked the man who quickly nodded.
"Yes! They are being interrogated by Haggar as we speak." The man said as his head dropped before continuing, "it is best to get to them now before she decides to do her worst. You'll find the room down past the cells, just make a right and you'll see a Galran activated door."
Shiro thanked the man for his instructions and looked ahead as the team waited for him to give them details. Before walking away, the man tapped him on the shoulder causing him to turn towards the man again.
"What's your name? After all, you saved my life and I have no idea what to call you." The man inquired with a stare so cute it caused the leader to blush again.
"I-I'm Shiro. And you are?"
"Curtis." The man responded with a smile before saluting the leader.
"Save your friends. I'm rooting for you."
Shiro smiled and saluted back to Curtis who then began to walk off down the corridor. Even if the encounter with the man was causing Shiro to become more flustered than ever, he had to focus on the mission. He told the team of the information he gathered, telling them that they'd probably be facing Zarkon's witch.
"That's fine. My family is here . . . . As long as my family is safe, I'll take on anyone." Pidge spoke with a determined voice and turned to the other cells full of prisoners.
"We will save you all! Once we return, you will be freed!" Pidge yelled words of hope to the prisoners that caused them to let out various yells of encouragement and praise towards the Paladins. With that, the group descended further into the hallway, coming to a stop at the Galran operated door. Shiro pressed his hand up against the panel and caused the door to open, which the team entered carefully. Immediately, Pidge bore witness to seeing her brother squirming in his restraints, screaming in agony and Haggar was holding down the lever that let out electric shocks. Haggar heard the team come in, even turning around after she let go of the lever which made Matt cease in his yells. Her father, however, was passed out on the table while restrained. Pidge yelled with anger as she unleashed her bayard and fired it towards the witch who easily teleported. Pidge wasn't giving up though, clouded by anger she managed to swing her bayard fast behind her and slash the newly-appeared witch's face. Haggar hissed and tossed Pidge to the side, causing the rest of the team to ready themselves.
"Listen, Allura! I need you to help the Holts. I'll take care of Haggar . . . ." Shiro spoke sternly and Allura sprung into action.
Haggar tried to stop the Altean but Shiro fired his arm up and slashed right at Haggar, causing her to back up into a side room. This room was smaller and seemed to be another torturing area due to the two tables lined up. Shiro kept swinging his arm while trying to follow up with some punches, yet Haggar teleported pass each one. Shiro heard from the other room the restraints click which meant that Allura had succeeded. The leader managed to grab Haggar briefly before he was shot back into the wall by a blast of dark magic. Haggar chuckled and walked forward as Shiro slid down the wall in defeat, the blast and the force from colliding with the wall severely damaging him. The witch then stood in front of Shiro and readied another blast as she smiled malevolently.
"Oh, Champion . . . if only you would've worked beside me . . . you had such good potential."
Then, before the Paladin could even blink, all around him went black . . . .