Croff paused for a moment. The things she saw and heard that day was horrifying, and she needed a moment to collect herself. After a moment of silence, she finally continued.

"Trace felt something odd from the six of them, but he could not quite understand what was bothering him. One day though, he accidentally saw one of the guardians walking to a cave behind the village chief's house. The village chief insisted that there was nothing there, and the guardians merely goes there for training, but he felt a strong discomfort every time he walked past. One night, he decided to go and see what was inside... what he saw there... broke him."

Croff looked up and met her master's friends' eyes one by one. They were filled with hope. They still believed that the man they trust, Trace Redfate, was a hero. Someone who could do anything, someone who could even bring back the dead if he wanted to. Their eyes hurt her heart.

"The cave was filled with devices, things that Trace have never seen in his life, even after his long years of wandering in the desolate land. Curiosity led him to a room at the back of the cave, and inside was people. The old, the disabled, and several youths were there. On their arm was planted an ominous purple gem... and that gem was connected to six bracelets forged out of enchanted irons."

Croff closed her eyes as a sigh escaped her nose.

"The village chief, along with two of the guardians, found him there, and was about to kill Trace to silence him forever... The village chief's plan went as good as having a headbutt competition with a Raging Boar. In their battle, Trace accidentally destroyed a Demon's Eye... and the shock wave corrupted everything around it."

Croff opened her eyes to see a sad expression on the everyone's face. She herself could feel tears welling up in the corner of her eyes. Not for the humans Trace killed that night... but for what she witnessed after.

"Trace... he had to kill all of the villagers. They were coming to kill him, for his magical energy managed to repel the miasma. He was the only one unaffected by it, and was forced to destroy the village. It was then that we decided to inform him of the village chief's plan to sacrifice him... At that time... he cried... he cried for those who were sacrificed... and for what he just did."

"Still..."

Alice's voice unexpectedly rang out. She closed her eyes for a moment as she nodded a few times.

"He was just avenging the people they sacrificed, is that not correct? For those who are powerless to stand against the village chief and the six guardians, he was a hero of justice!"

Fang nodded vigorously.

"That is true! Even if you wanted to survive, that is not a reason to sacrifice others!"

The others nodded along, agreeing with Alice's sentiment. All but Gilbert. Croff sighed through his nose at seeing how naive his Trace's companions are, but she can understand their naivety. They never faced true life and death situation. The terror gripping one's soul as the light faded from their eyes. The despair one felt as the future were robbed from them.

"Still..."

Another unexpected voice rang out. This time, it was Gilbert.

"If we decide to come back and talk to him, we should never try to comfort him for what he's done."

All eyes were on Gilbert, including Croff. She felt Gilbert was different from the others, but she didn't know how. It was the perfect time to know how he is different, so she decided to listen.

"In a world like that... there is no such thing as 'Justice'. We don't know how a terrifying it is to live near a gate. The horror they went through, and all the sacrifice they made to keep on living... We didn't experience any of it... but Trace did."