Chapter 13

Curiosity grew in the audiences' heart. They had never seen a Summoner standing side by side with their beast, let alone fight alongside them. Trace's action piqued their interest, and the voices dies out from the arena. Everyone was quiet; Trace's party, even the enemy. Trace smiled and glanced over at the humanoid insect standing beside him. The insect produced short screeching sound, before nodding at Trace.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. Now..." Trace looked at his opponent's monster. "That is quite an impressive being that you summoned. What was it called... the Devourer I believe?" His opponent's expression turned sour, as Trace easily identified the monster he summoned. The Devourer is a humanoid monster two times bigger than an adult, and with an insatiable hunger. It will eat everything; monsters, humans, everything. It is considered to be dangerous, and only a few people can effectively control them in battle. For Trace though, controlling a Devourer is easy, for he had once controlled high-ranked summoned beast.

"Alright, then let's do this." Trace run head first into the Devourer, followed by his summoned being. Trace's reckless behavior made most of the audience stood up and cheered wildly. The beast raised its bulky arm, and swiped it across Trace. Trace nimbly jumped up and slashed at its hand. The beast roared, and used its other arm to swat Trace away. Before it hits, Trace's summoned being pulled him down back to the ground, making the beast hit nothing but air. Trace smirked, and planted his heels into the ground. With his hand still grabbing his beast, he spun around, and threw it to the Devourer's face. The Insect Warrior used the momentum to plunge its sword deep into the Devourer's right eye. It roared in pain, and Trace's beast jumped down, leaving its sword behind.

The crowd cheered wildly. None of them, not even the king, had ever seen anyone fight like that. The Devourer stumbles around as it aimlessly swing its arm around. Its futile attempt to defend itself made it easier for Trace to deal the finishing blow. He looked at the Insect Warrior, and it kneeled down, holding its shield above its head. Trace ran toward the Insect Warrior, and jumped on its buckler. He kicked on the buckler, boosting himself up. He managed to get to the top of the Devourer's head, and he plunged his sword deep into its skull. The beast roared once more, before he loudly fell to the ground. Trace sighed, and pulled out his beast's sword. He returned the sword to his beast, and it nodded back to Trace.

The crowd was awed, and none of them made any sound. Trace raised his sword high, and the crowd once again cheered. They were all amazed by Trace's battle. None of them had ever witnessed that kind of battle in their lives, even the Summoner's are shocked. Soon after, the sound of a horn resounds through the arena. "The battle is over! Redfate's group are victorious!" Trace looked at his friends, and noticed that they all had just finished fighting their opponent. His friend's ran towards him, all of them are ecstatic by their first victory.

"I never thought that we would emerge victorious! Trace, this is all because of you!" Fang was overcome with emotion and gave Trace a big hug. Trace laughed and tapped his friend's back a few times. "A shame I couldn't watch you all in action, but I am pleased that everyone made it." The group of friend's exchanged smile, and they all waved their hands to the crowd. Amidst all the happiness, one person seemed particularly displeased. It was Iris Windwalker, the one who put the group to the 'Unwanted Summoner' team.

"It seems your judgement was clouded, Miss Iris." Iris turned toward the voice. It was none other than the king, and the principal of the Summoner Academy. "My king, Principal Damascus..." The principal ran his hand through his whitened beard with his eyes closed. "I have heard of your discriminatory ways of teaching the younger generation. Unwanted Summoner, was it?" Damascus's words shocked Iris. She made sure that word does not go out about the Unwanted Summoner, and most students that were put into this team either dropped out, or spent their days in the shadows.