Chapter 49

"Croff, would you please help me with this?"

Trace gestured to Croff, beckoning her to come closer. Even those who he did not call had come to his side out of pure curiosity, for his tone was one of bewilderment and confusion. It was quickly apparent to them what had caused distress to their master.

"Master... this is..."

Croff did not know who the Venombloods were. Her bewilderment came from something else, something more personal to her. Her eyes glanced quickly toward Trace, biting his lip with his eyes closed. He was slowly shaking his head, as if he was trying to push away a bad memory from resurfacing once again.

"Let us take what we can from them. We might be able to make something to fight these things with... though I pray it will never find any use."

The two began to pour their soul power to the large hunk of meat, while the others stood watch. Dark purple rocks began to form in Trace's palm, and every time it grew into the size of his fist, he would shortly stop what he was doing, and put the ominously colored rock into a cloth satchel. Trace finally stopped for good after his satchel was full. He turned to Croff with a kind smile and gave her a reassuring nod.

"Thank you for your help, Croff. Without you, I would never be able to gather this many samples."

Croff returned Trace's smile and nods. Although she did her best to hide the sadness in her heart, it leaked out nonetheless. Her smile couldn't convince Trace that she was indeed happy for him. Trace closed his eyes, and turned toward the city.

"We are going back to the city. I have someone I need to meet."

Trace began walking, and as his companions followed him closely behind, he muttered in an inaudible voice.

"I don't want to see these wretched things again..."

Meanwhile, Alchemist Guild...

In a quiet room, at the top of the Alchemist Tower, a woman was staring at a piece of paper intently. Once in a while, she would groan as she rubbed both of her eyes. Standing just a little behind her was an elderly man, but the way he stood made it look like he is still in his prime.

"Again..."

The woman was Jessica Artrost, and as she muttered, she threw the paper to her desk and rested her back on the chair.

"Did we run out of energy potions again?"

The elderly man was Damien Goldenheart, Jessica's mentor and her adviser. She nodded weakly to him and let a sigh that has been bottled up inside her out.

"Yes... Although with Trace's help, we have been able to produce better and cheaper kind of it, our stock is still lacking."

Damien lets out a chuckle as he rubbed his beard.

"There is nothing we can do."

Damien glanced briefly toward the wall and closed his eyes.

"The beast's attack took a toll on the soldiers. Though they were lucky enough to come back alive, that doesn't mean they didn't suffer any injuries."

Jessica turned her head slightly and looked at the wall from the corner of her eyes. Sighing once more, she finally stood up from her seat.

"Then I will personally help with the production."

Damien nodded his head slowly, not opening his eyes while doing so. As Jessica prepared her tools to make potions, two rhythmical knock came from the door.

"Grandmaster Jessica Artrost, Grandmaster Trace Redfate wants a word with you. He said it was urgent."

Jessica's eyes squinted in wonder for a bit, before replying to the voice coming from the door.