Chapter 09

The first bird sings, signaling the arrival of a new day. Trace walked down the street that would take him to his house. The street was devoid of life, for the day was just in it's early hours. The moon is still visible, although it is considerably harder to see as the sun is starting to rise. Trace stretched his weary body and yawned. He thought of how wonderful it is to just sink his body to his bed once he gets home. It did not take long for him to arrive in front of his house. He can see a few maids watering the garden, and the house's gardener working on the plants. One of the maids noticed him and rushed to his side.

"Young master Trace, your family was in quite an uproar last night, looking for you." The maid's voice was filled with worry, sending a slight warm feeling in Trace's heart. Trace nodded once, and walked toward his house. He pushed the door open and he saw his parents, standing around at the main hall. Relief washed over their face as they spotted Trace entering the house.

"My son! Where have you been?!" Scorpion hugged his son close as his worry and anger mixed into one. "Son, I know you have turned for the better, but that doesn't mean you can go somewhere and not tell us!" Trace lowered his head as he understood the meaning behind his father's scolding. Scorpion let his son go and Trace took a slight step back. "I apologize, father... I was so caught up in my own world, I didn't stop to think about the people around me." Trace has been so accustomed to living alone, and he still couldn't leave his habits from the day where he roamed the land by himself. Trace held his left arm and tightened his grip; a sign that he is indeed reflecting on what he did.

Scorpion couldn't help but to be puzzled by how much his son had changed, and in such a short amount of time either. He knelt down in front of Trace, and held his son's hand. "Trace... I know that I am not perfect. As a Summoner, I was not the strongest, and as a merchant... Let's just say I make a lot of mistakes. Still, if the reason why you are acting up was because of my incompetence, then I cannot offer anything but apology to you."

Hearing his father mocks himself in front of him sent a jolt of pain in Trace's heart. He, in turn, kneeled in front of his father. "Father, why do you mock yourself so? In my eyes, you are perfect. There is no way I am acting like this because of you!" Trace hugged his father close, and closed his eyes. Scorpion felt the sincerity in his words and action, and cannot help but to let emotion carry him away. "Thank you my son... You have relieved me of one of my worries." Scorpion returned his son's hug, and closed his eyes.

"Trace..." Lizbeth put a hand on Trace's shoulder. Trace looked up, expecting a frown on his mother's face, but what he saw was the complete opposite. He saw his mother's gentle smile. "Welcome home my dear." Trace nodded and returned his mother's smile. "I am home, mother." Lizbeth then put a hand on top of her husband's shoulder. Scorpion released his hug and stood up. "Now then. I suggest you go and meet your sister. She was quite upset when you disappeared."

Trace's mouth curled into a sad smile. It was one of his wish to spend more time with his sister, but what he did was the opposite. He more often than not ignore her. He promised to himself to take his sister everywhere from now on, and he will start by staying by his sister's side until she woke up. Trace made his way to his sister's bedroom, and knocked on her door softly. After several unanswered knocks, Trace pushed open the door slowly. Trace approached his sister and saw her sleeping soundly. There are several tear tracks going down his cheeks however, and it sent a wave of guilt in his heart.

Trace dragged a chair near Melody's bed, and sat down. He took out the book he used for research and starts reading. A few minutes later, Melody stirs in her sleep and blinked a few times before sitting up. Trace closed his book, making Melody turn her head to him. "Did you sleep well?" Trace gave Melody a smile. Melody's eyes teared up, and she immediately hugged her brother. "Where have you been?! Don't you know that I'm worried?!" Trace's smile turned lonely for a moment, before returning her hug.