Chapter 50

Rushed footsteps echoed through the darkened field. The footsteps sounded like they were stepping on wood instead of grass, something that is much more likely to be heard in a place around the lake. Croff's heels tapped against the wooden tiles Trace had installed, and the road lead to one of the facilities in his little stronghold.

"So they were here..."

Croff's face lit up when she saw that the lighting in the lake-side bath is on. She made her way there with hasty steps, and her heart was filled with both joy and hesitation when they saw her master's friends' footwear in the entrance.

"Oh?"

Before she could harden her resolve, she saw the figure of her master's sister walking through the hall. She was visibly dejected. The cheerful Melody was slumping her shoulders, and she was dragging her feet. Her usually bright eyes were hollow and unfocused. Seeing her in this state hardened Croff's resolve.

"Do you have a moment?"

Croff's voice caught her attention, and Melody turned her head wearily. She stared at Croff for a moment, and light came back to her eyes. She ran toward Croff and grabbed both of her hands.

"Perfect! Just the person I wanted to see!"

Wordlessly, Melody dragged Croff into the bath. Croff, who was not expecting that kind of treatment, could not help but to stare at her hand. Soon enough, she was brought to one of the smaller baths. It was a feet bath, something unusual that Trace himself built in his spare time.

"Everyone, attention please!"

Croff finally snapped out of it and looked around. In that small feet bath, all of Trace's friends are there. Just like Melody, light began to return to their eyes once they saw Croff. Still confused, Melody dragged Croff to the feet bath, and sat her down beside her, soaking her feet with warm water. The water's temperature surprised Croff, as a small yelp escaped her lips.

"Please, sit down and relax for a moment."

Melody's smile was something that Croff somehow could not resist. She gave up, and relaxed alongside her master's friends.

"So... Croff."

The one who first spoke was Olivia, and there was some sort of tension in her words. Croff closed her eyes for a moment, before sighing.

"I know what my master... what Trace said confused you all."

Croff looked around her, and found six pairs of eyes looking at her. Their eyes held a certain expectation; the story Trace purposely left out to make him look worse than he actually is. Croff could feel their intention from their gaze, but instead of giving the group what they wanted, Croff decided to speak the truth. The whole truth.

"My master... indeed made those stones with human lives."

Their eyes, full of hope were instantaneously shattered. Their chest started to hurt, as if someone was trying to make a knot with their lungs. Their heartbeat raged, and they felt a huge wave of disappointment in their heart. Croff opened her eyes, and smiled.

"Why do you all look so disappointed? I am merely confirming something, but I have not spoken about the whole truth yet, have I?"

Without giving the group time to recover, Croff began her story.

"Do you know about the gates that spawned those beasts?"

The group looked at each other, and nodded. Croff's mouth curled into a reassuring smile as she continued her story.

"Trace stopped by a village near the gate once. It was a rarity to see another human, and that goes doubly to a settlement. He was met by the village chief the moment he arrived. After a long talk with him, Trace decided to protect the town... alongside it's six guardians."