Chapter 36

Several knives glistened underneath the moonlight. Trace and and his 44 slaves stood in front of a dilapidated mansion, their way lighted by the moon. The surrounding area were eerily quiet, for Trace had requested the guard to put a curfew on that particular night. Even though he was confident in his ability to take down Rigurl, he do not know whether he can capture him without him wreaking havoc first. After all, a cornered rat will bite the cat.

Two men came down from the top of a tree, and knelt down in front of Trace. "Master, we have confirmed that RIgurl and his men are indeed inside the mansion. What are your orders?" Trace nodded, and gestured the slaves to infiltrate from the rear and side entrance. With silent footsteps, they all dispersed, and blends with the darkness.

After confirming that everyone is already gone, Trace closed his eyes, and concentrated. He had mastered the way of finding someone through their mana flow, and found 35 men scattered throughout the mansion, and one of them had a particularly strong presence. "Found you..." Trace walked to the mansion's front door, but strangely, his footsteps did not echo. It was as if he was gliding on top of the ground.

He found two men guarding behind the door, and knew that they are yet to feel his presence. Not wanting to let the chance slip, Trace kicked the door open as hard as he can, ripping them off their hinges, launching them a few meters from their original position.

"What was that?!" The surprised guards immediately stand at the ready, but one of them were late to notice Trace's glistening blade, before it reached his heart. The guard's eyes widen as the pain coursed through his body, and he fell lifelessly to the ground, his face showing an expression of shock and disbelief.

"How dare you do that you little runt!" The other unsheathed his sword quickly, and approached Trace. As he swung his sword in a downward swing, Trace sidestepped, and swung his sword to his attacker's forearm. His sword was enchanted, and it easily cuts through his opponent's arm. Before he could scream in pain, Trace swung his sword to his neck, decapitating him. Trace sighed, and flicked the blood from his blade, before walking towards the strong presence.

As he walked along the musty hallway, he noticed the presence of his slaves clashing with Rigurl's men. They have an advantage in number, but number alone is futile in front of true strength. That thought crossed his mind, getting stronger as he approached the presence that he believed to be Rigurl. Although Trace was confident he can beat him, he was not confident whether he can protect the others while fighting him.

Trace soon arrived in front of an oaken door at the center of the mansion. The door still looked strong and maintained, unlike the other doors Trace had passed through. Trace rested his hands on the door, and a sense of dread immediately assaulted him. His instinct was screaming. Something dangerous was behind that door. Trace was surprised, for it has been quite some time since he felt that sense of dread crawling through his back.

Trace took a deep breath, and steeled himself as he pushed the door open. The room was apparently the study of the previous lord. Bookshelves lined the wall, and a large mahogany table sat in the center of the room. Several chairs was tidily pushed into the table, and their leather had lost their color. On the ceiling hangs a beautiful chandelier made of bronze. Each one of them was abandoned for a long time, and the thick layer of dust and the cobwebs were the proof.

Trace's eyes went to the man sitting on the windowsill, and if it was in a different situation, the man would be tranquility given form. Trace slowly, carefully, approached the man, and the man turned his head slowly towards Trace. As his eyes locks on to Trace's amber eyes, a cold smile started to form on his mouth. "Well, if it isn't Trace Redfate..." The man jumped into the room, spreads his arms to the side in an exaggerated manner. "If I knew you were going to be this troublesome, then I should've killed you the night I met you."