Chapter 38

The gentle morning light seeps through Trace's half-closed curtains, and he groaned as sunlight hits his eyelids. His still weary eyes protested as it flickers, and Trace was tempted to just curl up into a ball and sleep the day away. The discoveries he made the past four days weighs heavily in his mind, and even though he had received more than enough support to stand up and walk once again, he wanted to be lazy for at least one day.

Knowing that what he wanted will bring nothing beneficial to him, Trace slowly picked his body from the bed, and stood up. He stretched his arms high and grunted, feeling the muscles on his back relax. He yawned, and combed his hair only to fix the bed head he had. He forgot to change into his sleeping wear when he went to sleep last night, and noticed the wrinkles on his clothes. He took off his disheveled clothes, and put on a set of new shirts and trousers, before leaving his room.

Trace was set on making progress in his laboratory today, but the first thing he saw was Melody, standing behind the door he opened. A gentle smile formed on her little mouth, and Melody bowed to her brother politely. "Good morning, brother." Trace returned his sister's smile, and nodded. "Good morning to you too, Melody." Trace stepped outside of his room as Melody made way for him, and the two walked down to the dining room together.

The two arrived at the dining room, but did not find their father and mother. A maid inside the room bowed politely towards them, and pulled the chairs for them. "The master and the mistress left early this morning. I was told to wait for the young master and the young miss to pass on their message. The master said that they had an urgent matter to attend to, and will be back later in the afternoon." Trace smiled at the maid, and nodded briefly as he walked towards the chair. He sat down on the chair near the door while Melody sat on the chair beside him. The maid served food to the table, and stepped back when she is done.

The two enjoyed their meal silently, accompanied only by the soft sounds of the fork hitting the plates. The two finished their meal, and stood up from their chair. Trace smiled and nodded to the maid as he passed by, while Melody followed closely behind him.

"Brother, would you mind spending today walking with me?" As Trace's hand reached out towards the front door handle, Melody's voice called out to him. He turned his head to his sister, and saw a small smile on her face, but her eyes tells an untold worry for him. Stopping himself from rejecting her, Trace nodded and offered her his hand which she happily took.

The day was just beginning and the road was filled with people, young and old. All of them had varying destination, but the smiles on their face clearly tells the happiness in their heart. A smile forms in Trace's mouth as he walked alongside his also smiling sister. "Beautiful day is it not?" Trace turned towards Melody, the same smile still perched on his face. "Indeed. It would be a waste to spend it all inside my laboratory." Melody's grip became tighter, and her cheeks puffed ever so slightly, and Trace saw a slight pout on his sister's expression.

Trace smiled exasperatedly at his sister, and returned her tight grip. "Well, I decided to spend the rest of this day with you. So please don't be angry." Melody faked her anger, and threw her face to the other side. Trace only lets out a small laugh, and kept walking with her. "Alright, but I will only forgive you if you really do spend the rest of the day with me." Trace glanced at his sister, a huge smile now perched on her face, and nodded. "As you wish." Melody grinned, and hugged Trace's arm.

The two spent the day walking around town, and they occasionally visit the shops on the roadside. Melody would look at some trinkets and accessories, and it was enough to make Trace relax, and push the incessant thoughts that kept running in his mind. As they went out of the last shop on the edge of the road, Trace looked up to the sky, and realized the day. He turned his head towards Melody, and knitted his eyebrows in confusion. "Today is school day is it not? Should you really be wandering around with me?"