chapter eleven

|CHAPTER ELEVEN | here we go again

" she wondered if there had to be sacrifices to win the war, if it was really called winning because of what they had to do to get there. "

「✱ ➶ ♕ ♡ 」

Stumbling outside, I'm not sure I can even call Arkadia home anymore. Not with Charles Pike at the helm. Leaving Bellamy instantly, it takes no time for me to jump to conclusions, the blood and timing enough for me to know. "What the hell did you do?"

His jaw clenches, glancing down at the mark on my arm, on its way to healing. "I avenged those who have been taken from us," Is all Pike simply says, my cheeks flaring with heat at the words. Glancing around, there must've been thirty of them and at least a hundred grounders. There was no way. No way they could make it out of that.

  "The peace keeping force," I mutter, eyes going wide, my fists balling. "Did you kill them while they were sleeping?" Suddenly, my voice is cool and calm, something Pike takes a step away from. I don't notice the crowd around me, gathering to listen at the outburst, the anger clouding me.

Pike stands tall. "We can take care of ourselves. Self-sustaining," He says simply, as if murdering people sent to protect us was for the good of our people, as if it wasn't starting a war.

"You're a coward," I laugh, the situation un-believably doomed. "You think you can beat an army their size? You've just killed us all," I hiss, knowing exactly how the grounders would respond. We would no longer be the thirteenth clan, no longer have peace. More people would die. I turn around, beginning to walk away. And maybe I should've, but it felt a little better this way. Everything I've worked for these past four months will be for nothing, and my patience can't withstand that.

Turning back around Pike has hardly enough time to blink before I punch him across the cheek. "You son of a bitch!" I scream, fighting against the guards who try to pull me away as he stumbles backwards, people surging towards me. Looking him straight in the face, "When they march on Arkadia, and kill us all, that's on you, Chancellor," I spit, elbowing any one of Pike's followers who try to come towards me, not caring about the hand cuffs snapped on my wrist. It was chaos, and through the crowd, I can see Pike standing up on some boxes, Bellamy and Octavia trying to push through towards me.

"Look what the grounders have done!" Pike begins, motioning towards myself. That only fuels me further, twisting my arm backwards, kicking up at the men behind me. I'm certain I've gotten a few good kicks in, and who cares if we're all going to be slaughtered anyways. "Turned one of us into savages! That is why, we need to claim what is ours!" He yells, a chorus of people following his lead, throwing their hands into the air. Suddenly my face is in the mud, a knee on my back and I'm screaming profanities in his direction.

It's then, when one of my people, the ones who I've fought for and killed for, pushes me into the mud like I'm not one of them— is when I realize this isn't something that can last. No matter what, there are people who don't believe in this. I can't just give up and let him win, expecting death. There has to be a way, to be five steps ahead of Pike, beating him to every punch. Stopping whatever he plans to do next.