chapter ten

| CHAPTER TEN | forgiveness and fairness

" the right to choose is the right to live freely. "

「✱ ➶ ♕ ♡ 」

"What the hell are you  doing here?" I ask, sitting upright in bed immediately, Laken climbing in alongside me. "You have to be in Polis!" I exclaim, swatting the younger girl's leg. When I take the time to really look at her face though, my expression falls. Her eyes were sunken, it looked like she hadn't slept in days. I could tell she was glad it was just myself, Bellamy probably lurking around outside waiting for me to come out. "Laken, what's wrong?" And suddenly, whatever moping I was dojng about Bellamy didn't matter anymore.

Her shoulders slump forwards immediately. "I love my people. The clans. I really do," She begins, her face clean of paint, hair falling down naturally and in her most comfortable clothing. With the possible coalition soon to be happening, this is exactly where she shouldn't be. "I've been raised on that, to be ready to lead them."

  "You are, Laken. I've seen you, the way you deal with Skaikru and Azgeda. We listen to you, and we trust you. Lexa trusts you," I nod, grabbing her hand to quickly squeeze it, sensing something was going on in the brunettes head. I felt some relief, glad she wasn't alone in whatever this is.

She shakes her head, sniffling. "I can't Avalon," Tears fall down her face, and it's only then what she says when I realize why. "I've watched it break people my whole life. Dad, Lexa, you and Bellamy. Clarke. It kills you, and I don't think I can do that. I don't want to," Laken pleads, and my heart breaks for her. Everyone, including Lexa, had believed Laken would be the next commander to serve their people, to protect them. And while her whole life was spent preparping for that moment really without her choice.

  "Look at me," I say lightly, bringing her tear stained face up. "I would never doubt the fate of the clans with you in charge."

Laken only cries harder, working through her emotions. "You don't understand. I don't want to be commander, but if Lexa dies, Azgeda has another nightblood that's your age. I have to do it," She sobs, probably thinking about how leading would wear her down, and I can understand. She's watched and heard of how it broke me , made me into someone else. She watched my father go against his own daughter when we landed. Laken is old enough to have figured out what she wants, and it's not being commander. "Because if I don't, they'll throw me out. It's happened before."

  "Hey, hey," I whisper lightly, the words coming out of my mouth before I know it. "I'll fight for you. And if I win, you'd be safe. There should always be a choice," I whisper, Laken reaching up to throw her arms around me.

  "Thank you, thank you, thank you," She murmurs into my neck, her whole body trembling. "I never thought I could get out," Laken's voice shakes, and I just let her relax there for a while, until she stops shaking.