22.

HARRY

Merry Christmas Harry xx

I forced my eyes shut and then reopened them, the message was still there. It had been months since we'd spoken. Not from a lack of trying on my part, she still consumed my thoughts.

I had ended the fake relationship with Jada the day after she'd walked out. When management and the boys tried to fight me on it I told them that it was hurting myself and the person I cared about and if they had a problem with it, they would have to do the rest of the appearances without me. That seemed to take care of that. I'd muddled through all of my obligations. I knew I should be soaking this up, enjoying what was left of this time with my brothers, but I couldn't bring myself to enjoy being here. My heart was somewhere else. Interviewers and industry friends alike had noticed my shift in demeanor. They commented on it but in a way that beat around the bush and I gave no direct answers. No one knew about us. To everyone else she was the girl in a few photos but to me she'd been more from the moment I'd met her. The press speculated that my somber mood was caused by the band split and I just let them believe it.

I pull myself out of my head and back to the screen in my hands. There's so much I want to say but I can't fit my feelings into a simple message. I sigh defeated before typing back a simple reply.

Merry Christmas to you too, El. I hope all is well. -H xx

I don't have time to wonder if she'll respond, if she'll even read it, before I'm pulled off into another string of endless interviews.

It's nearly midnight by the time we arrive at the hotel we're staying at tonight. The parking is underground meaning we avoid fans and for that I'm incredibly grateful. I love and appreciate them but I just am not in the mood to put on a fake smile right now. I'm not okay and it's not alright. I barely make it to the bed before exhaustion takes over.

When I reopen my eyes the alarm clock on the nightstand says it's 10:48 in the morning. I rub the crust from my eyes and feel for my phone. As I come further into consciousness I realize I'm still in my clothes from yesterday and I've forgotten to charge my phone. A click on the home button reveals that it's dead. I huff in annoyance before attaching the device to the charger and fumble through my luggage for clean clothes. I start the shower and hop in. The warm water rushes over my body and I feel some of the tension in my body release. It helps a little, but nothing relaxes me like when I'm with her. With my hair and body washed I cut the water and towel off before throwing on the black skinny jeans and white T-shirt I had picked out. With my clothing sorted I step back into the room. My phone is lit up having charged enough to cut on. I flop on the bed and lay on my side to scroll through my notifications a lump forms in my throat as her name fills my screen.

Everything is good. I hope it is for you as well. Listen Harry, I'll be in LA for New year's. A friend's idea to go to the countdown party...I know you guys are performing for the last time. I wasn't sure it'd be okay for me to be there.

She'd then sent a separate text an hour after I hadn't replied to her first message.

Not that I expect you to still care or anything just...I know it's gonna be a hard night for you all, I don't want to make it worse.

Hah. If only she knew what her absence had been doing to me. I think for a moment before sending my reply.

I want you there.